Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by SiSi'mon <s_...@purpleblade.net> on 2007/05/23 17:43:38 UTC

Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Does anyone know why Myfaces sucks so much?  It was supposed to solve some
problems but we have seen nothing but project delays since deciding to use
it.

Is it a poor specification or a poor implementation of a very bad
specification or a very bad implementation of a very bad idea?

Si'mon

Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
Not knowing the nature of your project, or the nature of the delays you've
experienced, this question is impossible to answer. If you could be more
specific ?

On 5/23/07, SiSi'mon <s_...@purpleblade.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know why Myfaces sucks so much?  It was supposed to solve some
> problems but we have seen nothing but project delays since deciding to use
> it.
>
> Is it a poor specification or a poor implementation of a very bad
> specification or a very bad implementation of a very bad idea?
>
> Si'mon

Grant Smith

Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Posted by er...@novartis.com.
Ignore this troll. Emails with his address now go right to my trash
folder.

"Matthias Wessendorf" <ma...@apache.org>
Sent by: mwessendorf@gmail.com
05/23/2007 12:23 PM
Please respond to
"MyFaces Discussion" <us...@myfaces.apache.org>

"MyFaces Discussion" <us...@myfaces.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

use ruby on rails.
that solves all address book problems, you have
:-)

On 5/23/07, SiSi'mon <s_...@purpleblade.net> wrote:

> No, the problem is definitely with MyFaces.  I have used many other UI
> frameworks in the past with fewer problems.  We have gone through most
all
> of the documentation we have with MyFaces.
>
> This technology seems to be lacking.  Maybe it will work in a few years.
> The documentation on the apache web site is completely incorrect
regarding
> saveState.  I can go on and on.
>

> mario.buonopane wrote:
> >
> > MyFaces is not a specification is just an implementation. If you
prefer
> > you can choice other implementation. I just want to say that I'm using
> > MyFaces + Tomahawk + Struts Tyles + Shale and I didn't see any delay,
> > just advantages!
> >
> > May be the problem are you?
> >
> > Mario

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

_________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

exclusive use of the individual or entity named above and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of the
notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the material from any
computer.  Thank you.

Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
use ruby on rails.

Posted by SiSi'mon <s_...@purpleblade.net>.

Posted by ma...@accenture.com.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
SiSi'mon schrieb:
> The myfaces forum seems to be one of the more active forums with more
> problems posted here than any other project I have ever seen.  The
> documentation on the apache website is wrong concerning how many things
> work.
Ah yes, we need more people to help us out with the documentation...

;-)

Besides that you just volunteered to give a helping hand (the wiki is a
good start)
anything concrete?

> How does crap like this happen?

Well it happens, but fortunately there always are people who are willing
to help to correct this, I just saw a hand being raised ;-)

Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Posted by SiSi'mon <s_...@purpleblade.net>.
The myfaces forum seems to be one of the more active forums with more
problems posted here than any other project I have ever seen.  The
documentation on the apache website is wrong concerning how many things
work.  How does crap like this happen?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
SiSi'mon schrieb:
> Does anyone know why Myfaces sucks so much?  It was supposed to solve some
> problems but we have seen nothing but project delays since deciding to use
> it.
>
> Is it a poor specification or a poor implementation of a very bad
> specification or a very bad implementation of a very bad idea?

Hi, which particular problems did you have?

Werner

RE: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Posted by "Jesse Alexander (KSFD 121)" <al...@credit-suisse.com>.
Are you trying to start a flame-war?

regards
Alexander

AW: Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?

Posted by Carsten Kaiser <ca...@valtech.de>.
I'm not sure whether it is really a bug... It was just an example to
stress this point. I had a particular problem with this functionality
(since one of these AddRessource implementations attempts to write
directly and does not postpone it to the rendering phase!) when trying to
use a component like it was suggested in the Wiki! But I updated the
according Wiki page with an according hint...

I know. But there are similar problems e.g. when combining several
component frameworks like ajax4j, tomahawk, jenia etc. since there is
always some overlap in functionality... And then the order comes into play
for the JSF standard extension points!
In the end there is the common problem of component architecture: How to
describe the semantics of an interface and the assumptions made about the
environment needed for using it?
Maybe namespaces in combination with type would improve this situation! So
each framework should only handle those information uniquely identified by
namespace and type within their custom implementation of a JSF standard
extension point. E.g. if a variable resolver is supposed to lookup spring
managed beans, it should only consider the namespaces registered with it.
(Maybe there is another variable resolver doing the same job with a
slightly different behaviour used by another framework!) As far as I
remember, Jenia did a good job on this and was quite easy to integrate...

You're right. Keeping such a matrix up to date will be challenging...

CAK

--
Carsten Kaiser
Principal Consultant

Valtech GmbH
Werner-Heisenberg-Straße 2
63263 Neu-Isenburg
Germany

Phone: +49 (0)6102 88468-0
Fax: +49 (0)6102 88468-28

http://www.valtech.de

Geschäftsführer: Ingo Kriescher
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf HRB48672

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I think what Andrew meant is that since MyFaces is not backed by a
corporation, people here are not paid to work on this project. Therefore
they spend there own free time for the community's gain without any personal
gain. Therefore, it's not very diplomatic to come on the list and speak to
us like if we were some evil telemarketing people that sold you something
for a high price and that does not seem to answer your need or that you do
not understand properly, not that you should be impolite with telemarketing
worker either anyway.

As for documentation, I suggest you take a look at Java Server Faces (JSF)
specification as it's what MyFaces implements.

Regards,

~ Simon

Posted by SiSi'mon <s_...@purpleblade.net>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 5/23/07, Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is probably not the best way to get an answer (insulting open
> > source developers). If you don't like the quality of the code (1)
> > become a contributor and help them fix the parts that you think "suck"
> > or (2) don't use it or (3) report bugs in the bug tracker and work
> > with this mailing list to see if problems are indeed bugs and then
> > wait for fixes.
> >
> > MyFaces is not backed by any corporations to my knowledge, it is made
> > up of people devoting their free time to write something they care
> > about.
> >
> > It would be wise for you to ask questions regarding specific
> > problems/issues and using the bug tracker to help the team work with
> > specific bugs.
>
> That says all.

+1

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.

> That is probably not the best way to get an answer (insulting open
> source developers). If you don't like the quality of the code (1)
> become a contributor and help them fix the parts that you think "suck"
> or (2) don't use it or (3) report bugs in the bug tracker and work
> with this mailing list to see if problems are indeed bugs and then
> wait for fixes.
>
> MyFaces is not backed by any corporations to my knowledge, it is made
> up of people devoting their free time to write something they care
> about.
>
> It would be wise for you to ask questions regarding specific
> problems/issues and using the bug tracker to help the team work with
> specific bugs.

That says all.

Cagatay

Re: Why so many problems with MyFaces?