Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net> on 2012/10/17 01:45:35 UTC

Java 7 support?

Hi all,
The Datastax documentation says that Java 7 is not recommended[1].
However, Java 6 is due to EOL in Feb 2013 so what is the reasoning
behind that comment?

Is it something we should be still concerned about?

Cheers,
Edward

Links:
[1] http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_deb, step 1
--

Edward Sargisson

senior java developer
Global Relay

edward.sargisson@globalrelay.net <ma...@globalrelay.net>

*866.484.6630*
New York | Chicago | Vancouver | London (+44.0800.032.9829) | Singapore
(+65.3158.1301)

Global Relay Archive supports email, instant messaging, BlackBerry,
Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Pivot, YellowJacket, LinkedIn, Twitter,
Facebook and more.

Ask about *Global Relay Message*
<http://www.globalrelay.com/services/message>*--- *The Future of
Collaboration in the Financial Services World

*
*All email sent to or from this address will be retained by Global
Relay's email archiving system. This message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  Global Relay will not be liable for
any compliance or technical information provided herein. All trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
FWIW, we're using openjdk7 on most of our clusters. For those where we
are still on openjdk6, it's not because of an issue - just haven't
gotten to rolling out the upgrade yet.

We haven't had any issues that I recall with upgrading the JDK.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I am using the Sun JDK. There are only two issues I have found
unrelated to Cassandra.

1) DateFormat is more liberal yyyymmDD vs yyymmdd If you write an
application with java 7 the format is forgiving with DD vs dd. Yet if
you deploy that application to some JDK 1.6 jvms it fails

2) Ran into some issues with timsort()
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6626437/why-does-my-compare-method-throw-exception-comparison-method-violates-its-gen

Again neither of these manifested in cassandra but did manifest with
other applications.

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by "Andrey V. Panov" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Java 7 support?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Voodoo <wi...@voodoolunchbox.com> wrote:
> And if you want a competitive edge, use it, tune it, take full advantage of the better version (7) and DON'T share. See the problem with not assigning this as a first class task for ASF team?

Umm, no?  Care to explain?

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by Voodoo <wi...@voodoolunchbox.com>.
And if you want a competitive edge, use it, tune it, take full advantage of the better version (7) and DON'T share. See the problem with not assigning this as a first class task for ASF team?

Sent from my iPad

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.

Re: Java 7 support?

Posted by Rob Coli <rc...@palominodb.com>.
<ed...@globalrelay.net> wrote:
> The Datastax documentation says that Java 7 is not recommended[1]. However,
> Java 6 is due to EOL in Feb 2013 so what is the reasoning behind that
> comment?

I've asked this approximate question here a few times, with no
official response. The reason I ask is that in addition to Java 7 not
being recommended, in Java 7 OpenJDK becomes the "reference" JVM, and
OpenJDK is also not recommended.

>From other channels, I have conjectured that the current advice on
Java 7 is "it 'works' but is not as extensively tested (and definitely
not as commonly deployed) as Java 6".

=Rob

--
=Robert Coli