Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Priti Singh <pr...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/03 21:43:46 UTC

Updates to Airavata Resource Allocation Manager

Dear Team,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to propose an update to
the Airavata resource allocation manager that I believe could enhance
the current system.

Problem: Science gateway administrators currently lack the ability to
assign and manage allocations to their users. This means that certain
users may inadvertently use up the gateway's entire allocation,
causing problems for other users. To prevent this from happening, we
need to present usage details to administrators so that they can take
appropriate action before it is too late.
In addition, admin portals do not have a compute resource profile that
shows what kind of resources are available, until when they are
allowed to use them, and how much they have consumed.

Proposed Solution: To solve this issue, the proposal is that we add
more profiling information to the User and Gateway profiles.
Specifically, we need to add the following:

Gateway Compute Resource Profile: Currently, only storage resources
are shown. To have a more comprehensive view, we need to show the type
of compute resource being used, until when the usage is allowed, and
how much has been used.

User Profile: Currently, the user can take up any resource they want.
To manage allocations further in the future, I propose that we show
the user the resource they will need while filling up the form.
Additionally, we need to add a table that shows what the user
requested, what was granted, and how much has been used so far.

Benefits of this solution: Implementing these updates will have
significant benefits for both the administrator and the user. The
administrator will benefit from a comprehensive view that provides
allocations and users that have access to them, for available
resources in the interface itself. The user will also be aware of the
resources they are over or under-consuming, helping them to manage
their allocations more efficiently.

I am open to hearing your thoughts on this proposed solution. Please
feel free to add your suggestions.
Thank you for your time.

Thanks & Regards
Priti