Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Suzan Uskudarli <su...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/26 13:43:18 UTC

Greetings from an annotation enthusiast in Istanbul

Hi,

My name is Susan Uskudarli. I work at Bogazici University as a faculty
member in Computer Engineering dept (we don't really have CS dept in
Turkey, it is more like a CS dept).

I teach the mandatory undergrad courses on software engineering (yep,
students love me >:) ), also grad courses on coopreation technologies and
social semantic web. I am highly interested in cooperative and
collaborative technologies.

I have been working with T B Dinesh, (who has been active and an advocate
of annotations) for a long time on hobby projects. Hobbies meaning things I
really care about, which I imagine is a shared experience by all.

In the last couple of years I have had my students work on projects that
included the Web Annotation Data Model (even way before it reached its RC
level). They are to implement projects including annotations. They learn a
lot. I enjoy exploring the creativity and utility of annotations with them.
I wish some of their projects were up, but as with many projects, the DB
vanishes and nothing works after they leave.

This semester I have some students working on cultural heritage with
annotations as well as a some other crowdsourcing projects that rely on
annotations. I think annotations are fantastic for learning and exploring.
By trying to design systems that use them, they can't prevent being exposed
to its benefits. Although it takes them a really long time. You would think
they would have better abstraction skills :)  I will share any experience
that results from there.

I hope to find some time this summer to do a bit of prototyping myself. I
am very interested in the community related applications of annotations as
well as semantic annotations.

Very best to you all. I look forward to all the good things that are going
to emerge from here. I should say continue to emerge.

--s

Re: Greetings from an annotation enthusiast in Istanbul

Posted by Suzan Uskudarli <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Edward,

That sounds very interesting. I will make a point to set sometime to
inspect this during the weekend. Exciting!

Thanks for your considerate response. Will be in touch soon.

Best
-s

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Understand about schedule conflicts...so many of those in May.

If you haven't yet, sign-up for an account on the wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/signup.action

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ANNO/Demos>And then let me know your username there. I'll do the rest! ^_^

Posted by Edward Silverton <e....@gmail.com>.

Posted by S Uskudarli <su...@boun.edu.tr>.