Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Al Lias <al...@gmx.de> on 2010/03/31 13:38:12 UTC

Is NotServingRegionException really an Exception?

As I do see this Exception really often in our logs. I wonder if this
indicates a regular thing (within splits etc) or if this is something
that should not normally happen.

I see it often in Jira as a reason for something else that fails, but
for a regular client request, where the client not perfectly up-to-date
with region information it looks as something normal. Am I right here?

Al

Re: Is NotServingRegionException really an Exception?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
I think the time to fix all these wire-level API stuff is when we
rework to use avro.  In the mean time it would be a very disturbing
change alas.

-ryan

Posted by Yabo Xu <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Arber,

Posted by Yabo Xu <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Al Lias <al...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 31.03.2010 16:47, schrieb Gary Helmling:
> > NotServingRegionException is a normal part of operations when regions
> > transition (ie due to splits).  It's how the region server signals back
> > the client that it needs to re-lookup the region location in .META.
> (which
> > is normally cached in memory by the client, so can become stale).
> >
> > I'm sure it can also show up as a symptom of other problems, but if
> you're
> > not seeing any other issues, then it's nothing to be concerned about.
> >

> Thx Gary,
>
>        this is my point: I see this many times in the (production) logs
> when
> it is actually nothing to worry about. Should'nt this rather be a normal
> response of a region server, instead an Exception?
>
> Al
>

> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Al Lias <al...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> As I do see this Exception really often in our logs. I wonder if this
> >> indicates a regular thing (within splits etc) or if this is something
> >> that should not normally happen.
> >>
> >> I see it often in Jira as a reason for something else that fails, but
> >> for a regular client request, where the client not perfectly up-to-date
> >> with region information it looks as something normal. Am I right here?
> >>

> >> Al

Taking exceptions out from logs would be a nice thing. I would open up a
jira and/or submit a patch. I am sure no one will object to that.

Re: Is NotServingRegionException really an Exception?

Posted by Al Lias <al...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.