Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andrew Kreps <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/17 00:04:32 UTC

Release Plugin Assistance

List,

I'm having a bit of a time getting the Maven release plugin to work
properly with a multi-module project.  I've been handed a project with
a working Maven build, and assigned the task of integrating it with
our SCM, Perforce.

The problem I'm having is that when I run a release:prepare, I get an
error that two of the modules jar files are missing from the
repository.  My common sense tells me 'of course they're missing,
they're not supposed to be in the repository!'  but that doesn't get
me anywhere with the build.  My question is how to get past this
particular stopping point so I can move on with the build.  I'm going
to attempt to post the relavant information below, but I'm relatively
new to Maven so feel free to call me out if I'm missing a major piece
of the puzzle.

It's worthy to note that I'm intentionally running in offline mode,
and AddressValidation and CompanyUtility are both modules in my source
tree.

Here's what I think is the relavant output from the mvn -X
release:prepare command:

[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: required
artifacts missing:
  com.company.portal:CompanyUtility:jar:Version1

for the artifact:
  com.company.portal:AddressValidation:jar:Version1

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:548)
	at
...[full stack trace snipped]

Caused by: org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactResolutionException:
required artifacts missing:
  com.company.portal:CompanyUtility:jar:Version1

for the artifact:
  com.company.portal:AddressValidation:jar:Version1

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

...[more skipped stack traces]
	... 16 more

And here is the dependency call in AddressValidation's pom.xml:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.company.portal</groupId>
      <artifactId>CompanyUtility</artifactId>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

What baffles me about this is that the build works just fine(mvn
clean, compile, package), but the release bails out.  Can anyone shed
some light on this for me?

Re: Release Plugin Assistance

Posted by Andrew Kreps <an...@gmail.com>.
Julian,

In fact, I hadn't tried that.  It wasn't the entire solution, but it
did get me up and running.  Now I'm havving fun with version numbers
because our code is now being considered part of the Maven repository.
 Hence, it's subject to Maven's rules and regs regarding versioning.
Thanks for getting me moving on this one!

Posted by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>.

--
Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Software Engineer