Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2005/11/14 23:39:35 UTC

[all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

I spent some of the weekend fine tuning some improvements to the maven
documentation. I'd like to propose that other components consider the
same ideas.

1) Improving cvs-usage:
Maven default:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/cvs-usage.html
Improved version:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/cvs-usage.html

This provides much more info.

2) Improved issue-tracking:
Maven default:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/issue-tracking.html
Improved version:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/issue-tracking.html

Again, this provides much more info and hopefully improves reporting.

3) Including three sections on the home page - Documentation, Releases,
Support, example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/

These provide the links to the improved pages, and also stress the [xxx]
convention for mailing lists and bugs.

4) Breaking the left navigation into Commons Xxx and Development menus,
example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/

This separates the needs of most users from the needs of those who get
much more involved.

5) Javadoc directories:
The latest svn docs:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/apidocs/index.html
Version 1.0:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-1.0/index.html
Version 1.1:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-1.1/index.html
The latest release (a unix link to api-1.1):
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-release/index.html

This is the current best fit with maven, as maven can and will freely
overwrite the apidocs directory. Thus the idea is that when you do a
release, you copy the docs to the named directory manually.

I'm not forcing anybody into anything :-), but I think these do provide
benefits to our users if we can share them across more commons
components. I would like us to try and agree on one naming convention
for the javadocs if at all possible.

Currently these changes are implemented on [collections] and [io], and
are on their way (all or in part) in [validator] & [beanutils].

Stephen

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 22:39 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
> > I'm not forcing anybody into anything :-), but I think these do provide
> > benefits to our users if we can share them across more commons
> > components. I would like us to try and agree on one naming convention
> > for the javadocs if at all possible.
> >
> > Currently these changes are implemented on [collections] and [io], and
> > are on their way (all or in part) in [validator] & [beanutils].
>
> if we had these templates somewhere central (commons-build/templates,
> say) then they could be maintained centrally and any improvements would
> be shared more easily. this might also make things easier for new
> projects. opinions?

<snip/>

Indeed, I expressed a similar opinion in r345388 [1]

I began tracing the generation to the point where a cursory glance
seemed to reveal that the template locations were hard-coded, at which
point, I abandoned that idea for lack of time.

-Rahul

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=113227439016673&w=2

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 22:39 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

<snip>

looks good :)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Dion Gillard wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Feel free to submit improvements to the original Maven templates as
>>well. I think Dion just volunteered to commit them, right? :)
>

> Me, commit on Maven? I'm not a committer.

I thought you still had commit on maven-1. My mistake.

>>I think someone had on their queue to backport the Maven 2.0 versions:
>>http://maven.apache.org/source-repository.html
>>http://maven.apache.org/issue-tracking.html
>>http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
>>
>>It would be good to apply some of these improvements to those too.
>

> I'll have a look at the 1.x process and see if they can be improved by
> default, in comparison to the 2.0 stuff, but a lot of the information
> in the templates Stephen has produced are not available in the pom,
> e.g. the open/closed/all bugs links.

Yes, we do have an issueManagement section in 2.0 that could house that
information though it has not yet been utilised. And obviously that
doesn't help in this instance either.

- Brett

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Feel free to submit improvements to the original Maven templates as
> well. I think Dion just volunteered to commit them, right? :)

Me, commit on Maven? I'm not a committer.

> I think someone had on their queue to backport the Maven 2.0 versions:
> http://maven.apache.org/source-repository.html
> http://maven.apache.org/issue-tracking.html
> http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
>
> It would be good to apply some of these improvements to those too.

I'll have a look at the 1.x process and see if they can be improved by
default, in comparison to the 2.0 stuff, but a lot of the information
in the templates Stephen has produced are not available in the pom,
e.g. the open/closed/all bugs links.

> - Brett
>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > Dion Gillard wrote:
> >
> >> Do these reports in Maven provide a way of specifying a custom template?
> >>
> >> That would be preferable, since the maven default sucks.
> >

> > All I did was create xdocs .xml files with the correct name. Maven then
> > uses those. Feel free to copy from [io], or perhaps [validator] since
> > Niall/[math] seems to have improved on the issue tracking :-)
> >
> > Stephen

Bernard Shaw

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

On 11/15/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> I spent some of the weekend fine tuning some improvements to the maven
> documentation. I'd like to propose that other components consider the
> same ideas.
>
> 1) Improving cvs-usage:
> Maven default:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/cvs-usage.html
> Improved version:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/cvs-usage.html
>
> This provides much more info.
>
> 2) Improved issue-tracking:
> Maven default:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/issue-tracking.html
> Improved version:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/issue-tracking.html
>
> Again, this provides much more info and hopefully improves reporting.
>
> 3) Including three sections on the home page - Documentation, Releases,
> Support, example:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/
>
> These provide the links to the improved pages, and also stress the [xxx]
> convention for mailing lists and bugs.
>
> 4) Breaking the left navigation into Commons Xxx and Development menus,
> example:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/
>
> This separates the needs of most users from the needs of those who get
> much more involved.
>
> 5) Javadoc directories:
> The latest svn docs:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/apidocs/index.html
> Version 1.0:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-1.0/index.html
> Version 1.1:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-1.1/index.html
> The latest release (a unix link to api-1.1):
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-release/index.html
>
> This is the current best fit with maven, as maven can and will freely
> overwrite the apidocs directory. Thus the idea is that when you do a
> release, you copy the docs to the named directory manually.
>

> I'm not forcing anybody into anything :-), but I think these do provide
> benefits to our users if we can share them across more commons
> components. I would like us to try and agree on one naming convention
> for the javadocs if at all possible.
>
> Currently these changes are implemented on [collections] and [io], and
> are on their way (all or in part) in [validator] & [beanutils].
>
> Stephen

Bernard Shaw

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Are you proposing that each component add their own custom
"issue-tracking.xml" and "cvs-usage.xml" pages - or having standard
templates for them in commons-build that can be used to generate a custom
one for the component? +1 to that from me.

Also, for the "issue-tracking.xml" pages  I just set up for Validator and
BeanUtils - I used the "Math" component for the basis of "submit a bug
report or enhancement" link - it puts some default text in the bug with
useful instructions and also automatically adds the prefix of the component
( e.g. "[beanutils]" ) to the subject line.

   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/issue-tracking.html

Niall