Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/19 06:10:58 UTC

publish git repo of ant-trunk?

Hi all,

I'd like to propose that we publish a git repository of our svn repo as a trial.

Obviously this will require some support from infrastructure to
sanction the svn->git initial import.

* Why?
- svn + patch + bugzilla is less than optimal (but better than JIRA :)
- git merge/branches == super-easy
- git is faster by far
- enables more contributions (think antlibs here) without worrying
about granting commit access

A trend is developing where developers on OSS projects are seeing
limitations of svn/cvs and are looking at one of the dvcs available.

Obviously we would keep the svn repo for now, but a git repo would be
a backup with an eye towards moving to this model in the future
(should it prove successful).

What do you think?

Kev

Re: publish git repo of ant-trunk?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As long as we don't do it on ASF hardware, why not.
>
> Why can't we use ASF hardware?  I was thinking of using
> people.apache.org to host - hence why infrastructure would need to
> be involved

It is just a feeling.  Our infrastructure people are pretty much under
pressure and I doubt they'd want to add more on their plate.
Furthermore I don't know whether the ASF is ever going to use a dvcs -
and if we do, whether it would be git.

You could certainly ask the infra folks for a definitive answer.

It may be easier to setup a Solaris zone for Ant where a few of us
could get root access to host it there.

Stefan

Re: publish git repo of ant-trunk?

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> As long as we don't do it on ASF hardware, why not.

Why can't we use ASF hardware?  I was thinking of using
people.apache.org to host - hence why infrastructure would need to be
involved

> I've started to use darcs myself, I like it better (less hype being
> the main reason, I guess), but I'm open to git as well.

Darcs is very nice too - but not as fast as git (although you can use
darcs with a git backend somehow - haven't tried it yet.)  There's an
eclipse plugin for darcs too which makes eclipse-users lives easier

> > Obviously this will require some support from infrastructure to
> > sanction the svn->git initial import.
>
> What would be required for that?

See above about hosting

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
> I would like to try it. Are you going to import the whole history or just
> the last revision?

Depending on the situation regarding hosting.  If we can host a new
repo on asf hardware, and infrastructure aren't worried about running
a time-consuming initial import, then I'd say the whole history.  If
there's a problem then we can just go ahead with the latest revision.

Posted by Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com>.
I would like to try it. Are you going to import the whole history or just
the last revision?

- Alexey.

On 10/18/07, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose that we publish a git repository of our svn repo as a
> trial.
>
> Obviously this will require some support from infrastructure to
> sanction the svn->git initial import.
>
> * Why?
> - svn + patch + bugzilla is less than optimal (but better than JIRA :)
> - git merge/branches == super-easy
> - git is faster by far
> - enables more contributions (think antlibs here) without worrying
> about granting commit access
>
> A trend is developing where developers on OSS projects are seeing
> limitations of svn/cvs and are looking at one of the dvcs available.
>
> Obviously we would keep the svn repo for now, but a git repo would be
> a backup with an eye towards moving to this model in the future
> (should it prove successful).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Kev

Alexey N. Solofnenko