Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Gilles DEMARTY <gi...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/26 16:49:58 UTC

'Progress Bar' component

Hi guys,

The java guys have defined as blueprint a ProgressBar component ([1] &
[2]). Is there anyone working on somethink looking like this in
sandbox ? Does it sounds a good idea ?

I'm looking both in sandbox components and DOJO widjets and i've seen
nothing looking like that.
I need it in some corporate developments and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

If nothing is already done, i would work on it with my (not that big)
knowledge of JSF component development and AJAX development.

Typical use are :
 * unknown progression bar with a bar that is filling and unfilling
continuesly, based of a flag taskCompled
 * progression bar like the one shown [2], with a float between 0 and
1. In that  case, we surely can 'evaluate' the remaining time base of
the completion and the time it took to do it.

Any other ideas  ?

Gilles

[1] : https://blueprints.dev.java.net/complib/v2/progress-bar.html
[2] : https://blueprints.dev.java.net/complib/images/progress-bar.jpg

Re: 'Progress Bar' component

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 4/27/06, Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> wrote:

> Craig McClanahan schrieb:
> > On 4/26/06, *Sean Schofield* <sean.schofield@gmail.com
> > <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Is there something like this in ADF faces?  I haven't looked at the
> >     donation yet with all of the other stuff going on but they have a
> >     pretty complete set of widgets in there.  I agree it would be
> >     something nice to have.
> >

> > It would definitely be nice to have in MyFaces.  But, there's no reason
> > to be shy about using the BluePrints ones either ... they are open
> > source and BSD licensed :-).
> >
> Yes the BluePrints stuff is neat, and the license is even better.
> Btw. I have not checked the latest code, have you guys moved the
> progress bar towards dojo, the old one afair, was straight
> on top of ajax.
>
> Yes, we've refactored the entire library of components to use dojo.io.bindfor asynchronous communication.  In addition, we're experimenting with
wrapping DOJO widgets (such as the Rich Textarea Edtior).

Besides having some interesting components to play with, the other desired
outcome of this effort is a set of BluePrints Catalog solution entries that
document best practices for building AJAX enabled components.  Since the
MyFaces developers are rapidly gaining experience in this area as well, it
would be interesting to have you review the catalog entries that have been
developed so far, and see how they stack up with your own work.  (Who knows
... might even learn a thing or two as well :-).

Craig

Re: 'Progress Bar' component

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Re: 'Progress Bar' component

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 4/26/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there something like this in ADF faces?  I haven't looked at the
> donation yet with all of the other stuff going on but they have a
> pretty complete set of widgets in there.  I agree it would be
> something nice to have.

It would definitely be nice to have in MyFaces.  But, there's no reason to
be shy about using the BluePrints ones either ... they are open source and
BSD licensed :-).

Sean

Craig

Re: 'Progress Bar' component

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
yes, there is something like that

when you deploy the demo-war you will see two examples

/adf/faces/components/progressIndicator.jspx
like (5% done ...)

and

/adf/faces/demos/progressSteps.jspx
(like an updating "check list")

-Matthias

On 4/26/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there something like this in ADF faces?  I haven't looked at the
> donation yet with all of the other stuff going on but they have a
> pretty complete set of widgets in there.  I agree it would be
> something nice to have.
>
> Sean
>
> On 4/26/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd really like this component in MyFaces. If you want to work on it,
> > I could help you out with the odd discussion if you want ;)
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > On 4/26/06, Gilles DEMARTY <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > The java guys have defined as blueprint a ProgressBar component ([1] &
> > > [2]). Is there anyone working on somethink looking like this in
> > > sandbox ? Does it sounds a good idea ?
> > >
> > > I'm looking both in sandbox components and DOJO widjets and i've seen
> > > nothing looking like that.
> > > I need it in some corporate developments and i'm sure i'm not the only one.
> > >
> > > If nothing is already done, i would work on it with my (not that big)
> > > knowledge of JSF component development and AJAX development.
> > >
> > > Typical use are :
> > >  * unknown progression bar with a bar that is filling and unfilling
> > > continuesly, based of a flag taskCompled
> > >  * progression bar like the one shown [2], with a float between 0 and
> > > 1. In that  case, we surely can 'evaluate' the remaining time base of
> > > the completion and the time it took to do it.
> > >
> > > Any other ideas  ?
> > >
> > > Gilles
> > >
> > > [1] : https://blueprints.dev.java.net/complib/v2/progress-bar.html
> > > [2] : https://blueprints.dev.java.net/complib/images/progress-bar.jpg