Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/08/08 14:59:48 UTC

[ApacheCon] Titles and Abstracts

As you all know, the schedule for ApacheCon is now published, and
registrations are starting to come in. I should have numbers on that
real soon. Meanwhile, now that I'm finally caught up on most work
things, after being out of the office for two weeks, I'm starting back
on some of the ApacheCon related tasks.

Here's how you can help.

* Look at the schedule at http://apacheconeu2014.sched.org/grid/ looking
for places where someone is speaking twice at once, or where there's an
obvious conflict between two talks (ie, the same topic at the same time).

* See if a speaker is giving two (or more) talks back to back.

* See if the talk ordering in a particular track doesn't make any sense,
or, at least, could be improved.

* Read titles and abstracts. Can they be improved? Is a title unclear,
not compelling, not descriptive, just plain boring? Are there typos,
grammatical errors, or awkward sentences in the abstract? Are there
placeholders that need to be filled? That kind of thing.

* If you are a speaker, blog about your presentations, telling people
why they should be there. Tweet about it. G+, Facebook, LinkedIn,
MySpace, whatever you have to do. Get the word out. YOU are the most
effective way to get people to the conference. Tell your projects' dev
and user lists, forums, NNTP groups and local meetup lists. Help us wish
we had a bigger venue.

If you encounter any of this stuff, email me, or respond to this thread,
so that we can get it fixed.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [ApacheCon] Titles and Abstracts

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
I'm actually already conversing with Werner about exactly this issue.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
It looks like some auto capitalization thing was run to camel-cap
everything. Finding stuff like "doesn'T" and "it'S"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 08/08/2014 09:16 AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Can I make a typographical complaint, too? There are dashes (-) before
> the speaker names, which should be either m-dashes (— &mdash;) or
> n-dashes (– &ndash;).

This is a function of the Sched.org site itself, and apparently not
something that I can do anything about.

> Some project names are not written correctly, at a glance I found OFBiz:
> It's sometimes written "Ofbiz", and sometimes "Apache-OFBiz", both of
> which are wrong; the correct spelling is "Apache OFBiz" or just "OFBiz".

I believe I've fixed all of these in the titles, although it looks like
the Apache-OFBiz spelling might persist a place or two in abstracts.
Still looking.

> "From Squid To Happines In 42 Easy Step" is missing a plural form in the
> last word.

Fixed

> Capitalization of the session titles is still not consistent.

This will take a lot more work. It looks like someone ran a script over
all of the talk titles to camel-cap them, and in the process did some
Bad Things. :(

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Thanks. This should be resolved now. Seems it was an upstream problem
with Sched.

--Rich

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.