Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Sumanta Gh <su...@tcs.com> on 2015/07/29 07:46:11 UTC

Poor SELECT performance in wide table

Hi All,
Have anyone noticed that with the increasing number of columns (static/dynamic) the performance of SELECT query linearly degrades even if I mention all row key columns in the query.

Any comments on this is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Sumanta
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Poor SELECT performance in wide table

Posted by Sumanta Gh <su...@tcs.com>.
I am using Standalone HBase version 0.98.8 and Phoenix 4.2.2.
There are 20 static columns in that table. Rowkey is comprised of three columns.
Each row can have 0 to 50 dynamic columns. There is only a single column family.

In the select query, I am using all the row key columns in the where clause and in the same order how they are defined in table.
There are around 5,00,000 records.

The query time of searching an exact row with all static+dynamic columns is around 3 sec as shown in SQLLine.
When I select a single column, the time drops to as less as 300ms.

It would have been great if I could share the exact schema and query. But I am really in hurry for a weekend to mask the schema/query before sending.
I believe this scenario must have been caught by others also. Pls let me know.

Regards
Sumanta

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Sumanta,