Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/02 14:54:01 UTC

graduation documentation [WAS Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Graduate Synapse]

On 1/2/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> With that I would like to offer my great thanks to the Incubator PMC
> for their hard work during the incubation of Synapse. We did three
> releases, which all benefitted from the usual thorough examination of
> the Incubator PMC (especially a few individuals who are well known for
> their thorough reviews). We have learnt a lot throughout the
> incubation period and thank you for your efforts.

and thanks to the synapse community for all their hard work

if the mentors could find the time, feedback on
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation would be appreciated. it
needs some more work but it'd be useful to know how close it is and
what improvements are required.

- robert

Re: graduation documentation [WAS Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Graduate Synapse]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/7/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On 1/4/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> >> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >> If you think this would be helpful, I'll start putting some linkages in
> >> place. :-) I do think it's important that the guide link to the policy.
> >
> > sounds good
> >
> > please jump in
>
> ok, I started adding in some changes.

great

i've added a check list section for post graduation infrastructure. if
anyone spots anything that's been missed please jump in or patch.

> btw, the sample resolutions pointed to by
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation#resolution aren't quite
> correct based on feedback for OFBiz and Cayenne in the December
> archives. The Harmony resolution is good, so I added a link to that.
> Once the board minutes are publicly available with the OFBiz and Cayenne
> resolutions I'll try to remember to add links to those as well.

+1

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 1/4/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> If you think this would be helpful, I'll start putting some linkages in
>> place. :-) I do think it's important that the guide link to the policy.
>
> sounds good
>
> please jump in

ok, I started adding in some changes.

btw, the sample resolutions pointed to by
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation#resolution aren't quite
correct based on feedback for OFBiz and Cayenne in the December
archives. The Harmony resolution is good, so I added a link to that.
Once the board minutes are publicly available with the OFBiz and Cayenne
resolutions I'll try to remember to add links to those as well.

 -jean

Re: graduation documentation [WAS Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Graduate Synapse]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/3/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert
>
> Some initial comments.

grand :-)

> Firstly, the documentation does not mention any vote by the project
> committers. This seems to be the very first step is to get the +1 of
> the podling community, especially the mentors.
>
> I thought it was a wise idea to copy both the IPMC and the sponsoring
> PMC on this vote thread to ensure there were no surprises.

+1

> I also think that the guide could add some advice on moving the
> project and documentation. For example, I have just done an svn move
> of the whole svn tree, and I've updated the status page. However, I
> still have some further actions to do:
>
> 1) update the master incubator pages to indicate synapse has graduated
> 2) move the wiki pages from the incubator wiki to the ws wiki.
> 3) create a new webpage to replace the old synapse one saying we have moved.

+1

> Finally, there is the knotty problem of PR. We are very proud to now
> be an Apache project and it would be great to let everyone know. The
> guide hasn't any advice on this.

sadly, there is very little advice anywhere on this subject :-/

i've created some content covering these issues but i'm not
particularly happy with it ATM so i want to take another look at it
after a chance to sleep on it.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/4/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Finally, there is the knotty problem of PR. We are very proud to now
> > be an Apache project and it would be great to let everyone know. The
> > guide hasn't any advice on this.
>
> Talking out of my arse....
>
> * Grass roots mentioning in blogs.
>
> * Sending to announce lists (announce@apache for example.. or is it
> announcements. One of the two). This will have a knock on effect with
> blogs (cafeaulait for example).
>
> * Getting it on the ASF front page news.
>
> * Timing a release to happen just after the graduation is complete is
> probably the best - saying "hey look we're a TLP" seems a bit weak
> news wise, especially if it's before the bits are moved to TLP. If
> you're saying "Our first release since graduating to become a full
> Apache project", then it seems like bigger news and the call to action
> is clear - come get the new release. Maybe that's my problem with the
> graduation bit, the call to action is "come join in!", which seems
> much less compelling than "come use the new software".
>
> * Articles etc. I wouldn't be surprised if online/offline magazines
> are much more interested in an article once an Incubator podling
> becomes a TLP. One unique article (I suspect) would be a "Life in the
> Apache Incubator"; a viewpoint from a podling not the project itself.
> Might only be of value to the feather blog - plus
>
> * Podcasting with Rich and David. Again - best time for this would be
> just after the graduation is complete and maybe a release has been
> made. The graudation is a period of change, so you don't want to be
> sucking lots of people in right then - rather you want to get the bits
> taken care of and then suck people in.
>
> * ApacheCon talk. Introducing your newly graduated project seems like
> a very good talk at ApacheCon if it's not been talked about before. A
> lot of them have though, so this may be a null-op. Java User Group
> talks etc.

all good ideas :-)

but IMO this really belongs in the infamously non-existant apache PR
website, not in a graduation guide. the graduation guide should link
and comment.

> * Have a whip-round for some advertising money. Either print a one
> page spread in the New York Times or send the BileBlog a cheque and a
> request to be biled. :)

:-)

- robert

Re: Fwd: graduation documentation [WAS Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Graduate Synapse]

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi all

Please consider that the Synapse code is frozen to perform the 0.91
release, and the necessary actions are already underway to do this on
the HEAD (e.g. POM versions are updated to 0.91).

asankha

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Paul

Paul Fremantle wrote:
> This is a great message on what PR we might do. It makes it seem
> worthwhile doing a release just to capture some interest! How about we
> get our website up, add in the RM fixes from Tijs, and cut 0.91
> straight away?
>
> Paul

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: graduation documentation [WAS Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Graduate Synapse]

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Robert

Some initial comments.