Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Rao, Sarveswara" <sp...@cdc.gov> on 2002/02/13 17:14:21 UTC

Reloading a page without refreshing Remote Scripting)

Hi

I have to developed a Page in which user enters the Zip Code and fields like
City Name, State Name have to be populated without refreshing the page. I
have found one solution Called 'Remote Scripting'. But that does not seem to
work. Can any one have any experience with Remote Scripting. Please Help me.

Thanks
Rao

RE: Reloading a page without refreshing Remote Scripting)

Posted by Brad Rhoads <br...@zethcon.com>.
I did remote scripting in the ASP world. I haven't heard of it being used in
the JSP world, but I haven't been around that long.

Anyway, one time remote scipting is used is for dependent list boxes. For
example after the user selects a country from one drop down list, the
state/prov dropdown list is then populated w/ the appropriate data.

An alternative to remote scripting in this case is to use JavaScript. All
the data has to be pre-loaded into arrays, but then you can dynamicly
populate dropdowns on the client side.

Note too that remote scripting doesn't work w/ all browsers. I think we had
to take the JavaScript approach w/ Mac browers.

For an example, see http://www.cyclewacko.com.