Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/07 03:11:13 UTC

Retiring a project [Was: Retiring Agila?]

So how do we retire a project?

My checklist so far is:

* move Agila to the Retired section of the Incubator site,
* inform -dev/-user mailing lists (earlier than the rest)
* ask that the mailing lists be shutdown,
* update the wiki,
* update the website,
* move the JIRA project to a Retired category(?), (what if Bugzilla?)
* make the SVN read-only,
* what else?

Hen

Re: Retiring a project [Was: Retiring Agila?]

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how do we retire a project?
>
> My checklist so far is:
>
> * move Agila to the Retired section of the Incubator site,
> * inform -dev/-user mailing lists (earlier than the rest)
> * ask that the mailing lists be shutdown,
> * update the wiki,
> * update the website,
> * move the JIRA project to a Retired category(?), (what if Bugzilla?)
> * make the SVN read-only,
> * what else?

That's essentially how it worked for Avalon too.  Though in that case,
some of the code was also transferred to Excalibur first.

The only issue I have with "retired" projects is that it's not the
code that is retired, it's the community.  The message we should be
sending is "Hey, we don't have any active committers on this project.
You're still free to use it, but you're on your own.  Anyone who
really wants to revive the project can fork it or drum up support
through the incubator again."

--
  jaaron

Re: Retiring a project [Was: Retiring Agila?]

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/3/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> > On 1/2/07, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> > > lucene4c-commits does still exist, as do the rest of the lists for
> > > lucene4c, for that matter.  I'd like to get rid of them though, so a
> > > consensus on where commits for those areas in svn should go would be
> > > nice to have.
> >
> > cvs@incubator.apache.org?  (That'd probably be where it'd end up
> > anyway if you remove the rule for lucene4c-commits in the mailer
> > config...)  -- justin
>
> It's handled by a glob, so we actually have to add rules for deceased projects.
>
> Having slept on it, I favour:
>
> * Remove entries from asf-authorization. Making it PMC rw and forcing
> the PMC to be aware when a community starts again.
> * Adding rules to asf-mailer to send the email to cvs@ - noisy in that
> file over time, but easy to overturn.
>
> Any opposed?

The Lazy Ayes have it. I'll update the doc.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 1/2/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agila's now on step 8 of http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RetiringPodlings .
>
> Previous shutdown podlings have had different solutions:
>
> Axion  - No issue, source didn't arrive.
> Depot - Made read only. Emails will still goto
> depot-commits@incubator.apache.org.
> Lucene4c - Remains read/write. Emails will still goto
> lucene4c-commits@incubator.apache.org.
>
> What should the correct solution be?
>
> For emails - I'm not sure if depot-commits and lucene4c-commits still
> exist or not. If commits happened, I imagine the emails should be
> going to general@incubator, so possibly a sym link on the mail server
> can easily do that.

lucene4c-commits does still exist, as do the rest of the lists for
lucene4c, for that matter.  I'd like to get rid of them though, so a
consensus on where commits for those areas in svn should go would be
nice to have.

> Both depot and lucene4c kept their svn groups. Should these be removed?
> Should the svn be r or rw, or should it just be removed and
> automatically go over to incubator-pmc rw?

ENOCARE, so long as the commit mails go someplace.

-garrett

Dave Roberts - Commiter Access

Posted by Rana Bhattacharyya <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

  We would like to propose Dave Roberts as a commiter
for FtpServer. We have gone through the usual voting
process. This is the result:

Rana Bhattacharyya  +1
Niklas Gustavsson   +1
Sergey Vladimirov   +1
Paul Hammant        [no reply]

Name: Dave Roberts
Email: dave.roberts@saaconsultants.com
Project: FtpServer

Please give him the commit access. He has already
contributed many quality patches.

Thanks,
Rana Bhattacharyya

http://mail.yahoo.com

Dave Roberts - Commiter Access

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how do we retire a project?
>
> My checklist so far is:
>
> * move Agila to the Retired section of the Incubator site,
> * inform -dev/-user mailing lists (earlier than the rest)
> * ask that the mailing lists be shutdown,
> * update the wiki,
> * update the website,
> * move the JIRA project to a Retired category(?), (what if Bugzilla?)
> * make the SVN read-only,
> * what else?

That sounds about right.  I did most of that for Lucene4c, only thing
missing is the JIRA and mailing list bits.

-garrett

Re: Retiring a project [Was: Retiring Agila?]

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> So how do we retire a project?
>
> My checklist so far is:
>
> * move Agila to the Retired section of the Incubator site,
> * inform -dev/-user mailing lists (earlier than the rest)
> * ask that the mailing lists be shutdown,
> * update the wiki,
> * update the website,
> * move the JIRA project to a Retired category(?), (what if Bugzilla?)
> * make the SVN read-only,
> * what else?

Update the status page at:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/agila.html