Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Charles Michener <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/12 19:12:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache on XP suddenly acting strangely

I have been running Apache 2.2.2 on a Windows XP computer for several months. It has behaved very well even under a load of several hits/second continuously - until now...

I have tried to use only the default httpd.conf settings with several virtual host sessions.

The problem at present is that the program does not write to the error.log; one of the two instances of httpd.exe stays at 5 meg the other continues to grow and when it reaches about 30 meg, Windows shuts Apache down.

( In contrast, last week when everything was OK, one instance stayed at 5 and the other stayed at 8 meg)

If I force Apache to 'stop', the error log is written to. there are many of the following error messages (1 or 2 per minute)

[Sat Aug 12 09:40:02 2006] [warn] (OS 64)The specified network name is no longer available.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

... and ...

[Sat Aug 12 09:46:55 2006] [warn] (OS 121)The semaphore timeout period has expired.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

The load on the server is normal or a little below normal - until this morning I might restart Apache once every three weeks --- now - 8th time this morning

Any suggestions where I might start looking

Charles Michener

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on XP suddenly acting strangely

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/12/06, Charles Michener <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been running Apache 2.2.2 on a Windows XP computer for several
> months. It has behaved very well even under a load of several hits/second
> continuously - until now...
>
> I have tried to use only the default httpd.conf settings with several
> virtual host sessions.
>
> The problem at present is that the program does not write to the error.log;
> one of the two instances of httpd.exe stays at 5 meg the other continues to
> grow and when it reaches about 30 meg, Windows shuts Apache down.
>
> ( In contrast, last week when everything was OK, one instance stayed at 5
> and the other stayed at 8 meg)
>
> If I force Apache to 'stop', the error log is written to. there are many of
> the following error messages (1 or 2 per minute)
>
> [Sat Aug 12 09:40:02 2006] [warn] (OS 64)The specified network name is no
> longer available.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

> [Sat Aug 12 09:46:55 2006] [warn] (OS 121)The semaphore timeout period has
> expired.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.
>
> The load on the server is normal or a little below normal - until this
> morning I might restart Apache once every three weeks --- now - 8th time
> this morning
>
> Any suggestions where I might start looking

Try the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive.

Joshua.