Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> on 2010/07/16 09:26:36 UTC

Release of Maven bundle

As noted in the release issue on Bugzilla, I have not deployed the
maven bundle, and I am not going to. I want to add the maven bundle to
the release files on
http://www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/? Are there
arguments against that?

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu

Re: Release of Maven bundle

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> ...From what I heard, the artifacts somehow need to be published via
> https://repository.apache.org and Sonatype Nexus....

FWIW the steps we use for Sling releases are listed here:
http://sling.apache.org/site/release-management.html

-Bertrand (congrats guys on FOP 1.0 BTW!!)

Re: Release of Maven bundle

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:47:19AM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Max Berger used to handle that. Putting the bundle under the dist
> directory will accomplish nothing. It won't get published in the Maven
> repository like that. Max published a guide in 2008:
> http://markmail.org/message/ntk2p23waqfvxaxq
> But I think this is outdated by now.

In the xmlgraphics-commons wiki, page Maven, it says: mvn deploy
etc. The target maven-artifacts in the build file creates
xmlgraphics-commons-1.4-bundle.jar, which I believe is the deployable
jar file. This encapsulates most complications. So what remains to be
done is deploy it via maven. The wiki page deploys it via
people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository,
which I presume is the standard way to deploy ASF releases. That
directory exists indeed, and contains previous releases.

However, I think everyone can deploy the bundle to any repository they
have access to.  That is why the bundle is a release artifact, which
we can put on the distribution servers, for users to deploy. If we do
not do that, we have no good place to keep the bundle available and
risk losing it; I almost lost it already.

Although the wiki page seems clear, I am not going to try and deploy
it. I leave that to an experienced Maven user. If we do not have one
in our teams, we can ask any friendly ASF committer to do it for us.

> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution_maven
> Unfortunately, the Maven part is still empty.
> From what I heard, the artifacts somehow need to be published via
> https://repository.apache.org and Sonatype Nexus.

Hmm, I hope that does not invalidate my above simple picture of
people/repo.

Re: Release of Maven bundle

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Max Berger used to handle that. Putting the bundle under the dist
directory will accomplish nothing. It won't get published in the Maven
repository like that. Max published a guide in 2008:
http://markmail.org/message/ntk2p23waqfvxaxq
But I think this is outdated by now.

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution_maven
Unfortunately, the Maven part is still empty.
From what I heard, the artifacts somehow need to be published via
https://repository.apache.org and Sonatype Nexus.

The Maven addicts should figure out themselves how to publish the
artifacts. Downloading third-parties (and their transitive dependencies)
from the net is a very bad idea IMO, but I'm already ranting again. ;-)

On 16.07.2010 09:26:36 Simon Pepping wrote:
> As noted in the release issue on Bugzilla, I have not deployed the
> maven bundle, and I am not going to. I want to add the maven bundle to
> the release files on
> http://www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/? Are there
> arguments against that?
>
> Simon