Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au> on 2010/01/08 16:08:01 UTC

Jira workflow

I'd like to make some changes to Jira:

1. merge closed and resolved statuses (we've never really used them differently)
2. add a 'waiting for feedback' status which triggers an email to the reporter with a question
3. add a new field to all bug reports for the database type
4. later on, add a timeout to the feedback status which will automatically close a task which gets no response (perhaps after three months). But that can come later.

Any objections?

Also, I could do with a hand triaging bugs in this list:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313713

They all need a fix version:

* Undefined future (for anything which no one has plans to work on)
* Short term future (for more important issues which need dealing with this year or so)
* 3.1 (for things which we are about to do)
* 3.0 (for things which need to be solved in the next week or two)

My only concern is that nothing important slips through the cracks which should be looked at. Or else the documentation needs updating with a 'be careful not to...' There is probably nothing important, but that's quite a long list now. I suspect many are actually feature requests rather than bugs, but I've only worked through a few dozen so far.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Jira workflow

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 12/01/10 2:52 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>
>> We now have a 'hold' status which is reached by clicking on "Request
>> more information". You automatically get a screen where you can ask a
>> question of the reporter.
>
> This seems to be available to users who are not logged in. If I
> understand correctly how this is supposed to work, only authenticated
> Cayenne developers should be able to have access to this workflow item?
>
> Andrus

Fixed. Restricted to committers now.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Jira workflow

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Jira workflow

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 11/01/10 4:49 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Andrus Adamchik<an...@objectstyle.org>wrote:
>
>> On Jan 8, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>>
>>> 1. merge closed and resolved statuses (we've never really used them
>>> differently)
>>> 2. add a 'waiting for feedback' status which triggers an email to the
>>> reporter with a question
>>> 3. add a new field to all bug reports for the database type
>>> 4. later on, add a timeout to the feedback status which will automatically
>>> close a task which gets no response (perhaps after three months). But that
>>> can come later.
>>>

>> Looks good to me.
>>

> +1
>
> I've always used "resolved" to mean more feedback or that I'm looking for
> another pair of eyes to verify, but the reality is, it hardly ever happens
> and then I just mark the issue as closed anyway.

This change has now been made. Because we are now using a custom workflow we can further customise it as we need to. We can customise each status and what permissions you need to move between them. We now have a 'hold' status which is reached by clicking on "Request more information". You automatically get a screen where you can ask a question of the reporter.

All issues which were on 'resolved' status are now marked as 'closed'. If any committer has some spare time and could help review tasks, there are quite a few which should be put into that status. Later on, we'll implement something that will let us automatically close tasks if they remain on hold for several months without comment.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Jira workflow