Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/09/24 13:55:41 UTC

Build binaries hosting (was Re: Jenkins Builds)

Hi all,

A proposal: create a github project out of the Apache umbrella, but
sponsored/managed by some of us, host the binaries there, then clone as
required.

Cheers,
Antonio

Re: Build binaries hosting (was Re: Jenkins Builds)

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

El 24/09/2018 a las 21:28, Matthias Bläsing escribió:
> I don't like the rush - Oracle claims to be able to host whole clouds,
> it should be possible to continue providing a simple server for a few
> months.

Wise words. I don't like the rush either.

As Gj points in another email it's not about Oracle being able to
provide a simple server or not: its about us being able to build our
stuff independently from Oracle :-).

> We have no concept for upload to the new system and we did not discuss
> switching. If the PPMC is able to upload to the new system I would
> agree to do the switch, but the PPMC as a whole does not currently have
> access.

I'll try to access as time permits. I'll then write a Confluence page in
our "infra" section on how to gain access to OSUOSL. I keep on
forgetting things, so that'd at least help me in the future :-).

> I assume, that switching uploads to the OSUOSL system is a one-way
> street. Once we are there, we can't go back, it won't be mirrored to
> hg.netbeans.org/binaries. So this should be cleared

I think we can give it a run by modifying the build system locally
(that'd be changing a single property, AFAIK). Maybe we want to try it
out ourselves first, and once we're all satisfied with the results we
may then be independent.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Re: Build binaries hosting (was Re: Jenkins Builds)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Indeed, there is no rush at all.

However, with the Oracle servers over the years, we've had a number of
problems, unexpected problems, such as a day or two ago.

Plus, the whole point of moving to Apache is to not be dependent on Oracle
anymore.

The more and the sooner we can prove that we're doing that, the better, in
my humble opinion.

We do have instructions for uploading to that location, will send them to
the @private mailing list (or Emilian can do that) since they're usable by
the PPMC only, which makes sense.

Gj

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 9:28 PM, Matthias Bläsing <mblaesing@doppel-helix.eu