Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ole Hedegaard <oh...@trifork.com> on 2015/02/11 11:42:04 UTC

Java APIs - which one to use?

Hi,

I'm trying out Kafka for a Java-centric project, and to that end I have downloaded the 0.8.2 source. I find both the kafka.javaapi.* classes (in the core project) and the org.apache.kafka.clients.* classes (in the clients project). I need to use the low-level API, and that seems do-able with both approaches.

My question is: which is better to proceed with? My code will be around for a while, so I would like there to be as little impact as possible when version 0.9 hits the stores.

Regards,
Ole Hedegaard

Re: Java APIs - which one to use?

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
You should use the producer under o.a.k.c. The new consumer
implementation is not available in 0.8.2 (although the APIs are there)
so you would need to use the kafka.javaapi classes for the consumer.
We plan to deprecate kafka.javaapi eventually.

Thanks,

Joel