Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Alex Kamil <al...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/17 06:28:23 UTC

speed up ALTER

Is there a faster alternative to ALTER statement?

I'm trying to add ~800 columns to a table (3 regionservers, salt_bucket=3)
and it takes >2 min. As I generate about 300 of these statements during
bootstrap it takes hours to finish

May be via direct update to meta tables via HBase API or even HDFS files,
anything goes

Re: speed up ALTER

Posted by Alex Kamil <al...@gmail.com>.
for reference, after replacing ALTER with CREATE it brought down total
bootstrap time from 5hr to 5min, about 1-1.5 sec per CREATE stmt (with 2000
columns per table)
 it looks like  "ALTER TABLE  mytable ADD IF NOT EXISTS  col1 varchar, col2
.." generates individual calls for each column (based on zookeeper trace),
while CREATE does it in one shot. probably expected behavior.

Re: speed up ALTER

Posted by Alex Kamil <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: speed up ALTER

Posted by Alex Kamil <al...@gmail.com>.