Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2019/10/04 19:10:41 UTC

Re: Outreachy Program. Friction log. Calling for contributions

I've been asking and searching around about friction logs* and here's some
resources that helped. Google has blogged about it:
https://devrel.net/developer-experience/an-introduction-to-friction-logging.
It does seem to be a mostly Google-specific name for the concept, so if
anyone knows what other people call this that would help to find more
examples and ideas.

Here are some public examples:
 -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HVG3t-mgGZKU4iMeguTWGejbnQ54qUTXwdCFkA5xHG0/edit
 - https://github.com/kubeflow/kubeflow/issues/927
 - https://github.com/istio/istio.io/issues/1299

I think the "bug filed with pain points" is not the right model, but the
green/yellow/red journaling seems applicable. The templates are very
minimal so maybe need to think about how this work is different from the
usual software usability usage.

Two extensions that I think fit well with this project are (1) separating
the logger from the person going through the process (2) having multiple
loggers.

And what do you think about separate friction logs for the intern as well
as the mentor?

Kenn

*not these: https://www.smokinlicious.com/friction-logs.html

Posted by Laura Zanella <la...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your contributions, Kenn.

The blog of Gloogle is very descriptive with the concept of friction logging, and the models of your examples are interesting. I agree with you that the bug filled with pain points is not the best model for what we are looking for, however, they are helpful to finish understanding the operation of a fiction login.

I could find another examples using pain points, since it is true, there are not many examples with the definition of "friction loggin":
  - https://github.com/kubeflow/examples/issues/89
  - https://github.com/kubeflow/examples/issues/619

I have been looking for the same idea of friction logging under another concept; however, the closest thing I could find was Diagnostic logging (https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/you-should-have-better-logging-now-fbab2f667fac/), which is really not very similar, although it could be useful to develop some design.

To me, the green/yellow/red journaling seems applicable too, since using the color code helps you focus a little more on specific steps and recognize critical points. Also, I think it is a good idea to have separate friction logs for the intern as well as the mentor to present the right level of friction designed for the desired target audience.

I will continue to look for more ideas that may be helpful to complement the great research of Kenn.

Laura

Posted by Laura Zanella <la...@gmail.com>.