Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by ownedthx <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/18 18:44:05 UTC

Re: In Ajax request to component causing another component a chance to render

Let me try an example.  Take a pretty rich web app like markmail:
http://tapestry.markmail.org/search/?q=tapestry

When you search on markmail,  it causes a whole page refresh. (not what I'm
trying to do).  But, what if instead it updated just the applicable
components on the page, such as the search results, using Ajax?  This is
basically what I'm trying to accomplish with my web app.

In general, I think one could argue that the 'richer' your application
becomes (fatter webpages with alot of Ajax), the higher chance you might
want something like this.  I think there are less common usecases why this
would be useful for more traditional web apps.

Seth

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Mon, 18 May 2009 14:28:59 -0300, ownedthx <se...@gmail.com> escreveu:

> Oh.  I think I get it.  If the zone contains another component, then
> that'd cause it to render, right?

Yes. The zone, and everything inside it, is rerendered.

Your pseudomarkup looks correct. ;)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: In Ajax request to component causing another component a chance to render

Posted by ownedthx <se...@gmail.com>.
Oh.  I think I get it.  If the zone contains another component, then that'd
cause it to render, right?

Let me see if I get this right with some pseudomarkup:

Root page (that contains the two components, searchForm and searchResults):
    <t:searchForm zoneToUpdate="literal:wrapper"
searchTerm="prop:searchTerm" />

    <t:zone t:id="wrapper">
        <t:searchResults searchTerm="prop:searchTerm" />
    </t:zone>

Search Form component:
    <t:form zone="prop:wrapper">
        <t:textarea t:id="searchTerm" />