Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/30 13:10:43 UTC

Is there an ASF license for Apple's "Apple Developer Program" ?

Hi,

we would like to build a client prototype for Apache OpenMeetings for the
iOS platform.

But you have to pay a fee to get a developer certificate.

Is there an ASF license program with Apple so that committers can access
Apple's Developer Program for free for their projects?

Thanks!
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: Is there an ASF license for Apple's "Apple Developer Program" ?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
On Mar 30, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm in the program, so would be willing to coordinate this...
>
> +1
>
> I would love to see this happen!

I'll make some inquiries :)

Re: Is there an ASF license for Apple's "Apple Developer Program" ?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Is there an ASF license for Apple's "Apple Developer Program" ?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
That would be fantastic if Apple can offer.

Raymond Feng
Sent from my iPhone

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
That would be great!

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
That would be great!

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
Rob,

I read your initial comment as such as you would have been worried
about the licensing terms of the developer program itself [1] and
probably the App Store usage guidelines [2].

Apple SDKs can be downloaded free-of charge without requiring a
developer account and as William pointed out they are already being
used anyway. Developer accounts are only necessary if you want to
download pre-releases of SDKs or operating systems offered by apple.
This is pretty handy for instance if you want to test your app before
a particular operating system gets released. Additionally you want to
have a developer account if you require your apps to be signed by
apple. Additionally you could get ISO images of past OSes from the
developer program including OSX server which can be used as a staging
server for iOS apps.

AFAIK similar, reasonable or unreasonable discussions exist around the
terms of the Android SDK [3] but then again if so it's a separate
discussion and unrelated to getting free of charge access to the Apple
developer program.

[1] http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scribd.com%2Fdoc%2F41213383%2FiOS-Developer-Program-License-Agreement&ei=kxZ_T8bwNouQ4gSbgN3ABw&usg=AFQjCNHgHwHiQHtiSVuawdUte0PiW4HXbA
[2] https://developer.apple.com/appstore/guidelines.html
[3] http://developer.android.com/sdk/terms.html

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 4/6/2012 10:17 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>>> I'd recommend first very careful review of the licensing terms first, on
>>> legal-discuss, to ensure that we're comfortable with any restrictions use
>>> of their SDK brings.  This would also help with other potential
>>> contributors who might have iOS apps they would like to contribute, but
>>> whose current analysis suggests that the Apple terms are incompatible.
>>
>> nonsense
>>
>> These are the very same SDK tools that these very same Apache Committers already
>> use on a daily basis.
>>

> The issue, of course, is not what you do with the Apple SDK in the
> privacy of your own bedroom.  The question is about creating
> dependencies for releases and the restrictions these bring to
> downstream consumers.    If you want to just say those are questions
> for the individual PMC's to resolve, then I'd agree, but I then note
> that the IPMC is the PMC for podlings, so my point is in order.

But it's apropos of nothing, yet.  Who has their login to WWDC handy?  How
many entitlements appear in your list of SDK's and other Apple developer
features?  500?  5000?  At least 50 full frameworks, supported, deprecated
and historical, alone.

Name ONE SDK from WWDC which a podling has a specific desire to deploy,
and then, we can look at its license.  Name one from Novell, or Microsoft.
We've done this a number of times at APR and HTTP Server projects.  But
until you identify a particular SDK, this isn't actually a productive
discussion to even a single podling.  When you have identified a specific
SDK, have a reference to it's license and decided you can't work out if
it is class A, B or X relative to an AL ASF work, then file a jira ticket
with the legal team, point to the license, and they can help sort it.
So it still would be unlikely to be worth email traffic to discuss, since
the jira ticket is both deliberative and archival of the decision.

Re: Is there an ASF license for Apple's "Apple Developer Program" ?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> There isn't (to my knowledge), I can imagine an increasing number of
> projects wanting such a thing though. Unless someone tells me I'm
> wrong and we already have one would you be interested in seeing if
> Apple are open to such an arrangement?

I'd recommend first very careful review of the licensing terms first, on
legal-discuss, to ensure that we're comfortable with any restrictions use
of their SDK brings.  This would also help with other potential
contributors who might have iOS apps they would like to contribute, but
whose current analysis suggests that the Apple terms are incompatible.

-Rob

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

--
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com