Posted to notifications@jclouds.apache.org by Everett Toews <no...@github.com> on 2015/03/19 19:07:25 UTC

[jclouds] Modernize the VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest (#709)

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709

-- Commit Summary --

  * Modernize the VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest

-- File Changes --

    M apis/openstack-nova/pom.xml (6)
    M apis/openstack-nova/src/test/java/org/jclouds/openstack/nova/v2_0/extensions/VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest.java (254)
    M apis/openstack-nova/src/test/java/org/jclouds/openstack/nova/v2_0/features/ServerApiLiveTest.java (4)
    M apis/openstack-nova/src/test/java/org/jclouds/openstack/nova/v2_0/internal/BaseNovaApiLiveTest.java (40)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709.patch
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709.diff

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709

Re: [jclouds] Modernize the VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest (#709)

Posted by Zack Shoylev <no...@github.com>.
Superceded by https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/710

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709#issuecomment-83887035

Re: [jclouds] Modernize the VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest (#709)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
Hopefully this is in reasonably good shape now. I'll be on vacation until Monday and won't have my laptop with me. If changes need to be made, go ahead and push on top of my commits or just cherry pick or whatever. I just don't want to hold the release up.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709#issuecomment-83757647

Re: [jclouds] Modernize the VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest (#709)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Let's see if I understand this.

The volume test has started failing now, because modern OpenStack distributions come without the volume API in Nova, and the Available Volume API is through Cinder?

In that case, from what I see int he changed test we are no longer exercising the deprecated Nova Volume API. And having an API completely untested does not seem like a good approach. If those tests now belong to Cinder, what about moving the tests to that API (if missing there) and just leave the current ones unchanged? Instead of configuring them in the "live" group, we could move them to a "live-deprecated" group so they don't run by default, but anyone with an old Nova installation can run them if needed.

Am I understanding this correctly? WDYT?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709#issuecomment-83797638

Re: [jclouds] Modernize the VolumeAttachmentApiLiveTest (#709)

Posted by Zack Shoylev <no...@github.com>.
Well one problem is that the current tests were broken from what I could tell. Which is why the idea was to replace them with up-to-date tests which follow what users would do (which is why @everett-toews also added the deprecation PR).

I don't think this tests a cinder feature; it just tests a nova feature that requires cinder to be tested properly.

We could add new working tests that test the old deprecated API - I think that would make sense. This might be a bit more difficult to setup for live testing.
Hopefully I am making sense :)

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/709#issuecomment-83887680