Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Heck <PH...@camsys.com> on 2005/05/05 16:23:18 UTC

Re: License conundrum

I sent this question several days ago, about licensing... would this be
better addressed to a dev list? I know that many Sun Jars are distributed
with a license that allows redistribution with a product, but I want to be
sure. Should I enter the lack of license documentation as a bug?

-Gus

Patrick G. Heck
Cambridge Systematics, Inc.
100 CambridgePark Drive, Suite 400
Cambridge, MA 02140
tel  617 354 0167
fax  617 354 1542
e-mail  pheck@camsys.com
www.camsys.com

Re: License conundrum

Posted by Patrick Heck <PH...@camsys.com>.
Based on my experience on several lists, Most significantly ant-dev
between 2002 and 2004, there is another reason not listed in that faq...
The person who has the answer had a high workload on the day you posted,
and ignored it when they might otherwise have answered. This changes with
time so re-posts spaced several days apart have, in my experience helped.
Also there is a tendancy for some to pick it up on the second round when
it becomes evident that noone else dealt with it the first time. Certainly
spamming repeatedly (especially mutliple times a day) is not productive.

Licensing issues are sometimes considered bugs (bug 31434, bug 27410, bug
26382), but generally rather than poluting the bug database, pinging the
dev list first is sometimes a good idea. I was hoping for direction as to
the preferences for handling this type of thing in this project.

- Gus

Re: License conundrum

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Patrick -- From the tomcat FAQ:

Re: License conundrum

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/05, Patrick Heck <PH...@camsys.com> wrote:
> I sent this question several days ago, about licensing... would this be
> better addressed to a dev list? I know that many Sun Jars are distributed
> with a license that allows redistribution with a product, but I want to be
> sure. Should I enter the lack of license documentation as a bug?
>
> -Gus
>
> Patrick G. Heck
> Cambridge Systematics, Inc.
> 100 CambridgePark Drive, Suite 400
> Cambridge, MA 02140
> tel  617 354 0167
> fax  617 354 1542
> e-mail  pheck@camsys.com
> www.camsys.com
>
> Patrick Heck/camsys wrote on 04/26/2005 01:42:27 AM:
>
> > I am somewhat confused by the jstl.jar distributed with 1.0.5 (I
> > have identified it as being at least the same # of bytes as the one
> > that I am trying to identify and document in our project, and since
> > we also have a jakarta-taglibs 1.0.5 jar I suspect we got this jstl.
> > jar from you :) ).
> >
> > It has a manifest.mf file as follows:
> >
> > Manifest-Version: 1.0
> > Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.5.3
> > Created-By: 1.4.2-b28 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
> > Specification-Title: JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library (JSTL)
> > Specification-Version: 1.0
> > Implementation-Title: JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library API Refere
> >  nce Implementation
> > Implementation-Version: 1.0.5
> > Implementation-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> > Implementation-Vendor-Id: com.sun
> > Extension-Name: javax.servlet.jsp.jstl
> >
> > I cannot find reference to 1.0.5, or it's license on sun's site

No, you wouldn't. The 1.0.5 version number is the version of the
Apache Jakarta Taglibs implementation of the JSTL 1.0 specification.
It's not a Sun version number.

> > I cannot find any license file relating to a Sun license. I have
> > noticed that other jars from apache are clearly implemented by
> > apache. For example:

I would hazard a guess that the values for 'Implementation-Vendor' and
'Implementation-Vendor-Id' are actually incorrect, and should
reference the ASF instead, since the Jakarta Taglibs implementation is
licensed under the ASL. However, since I'm not one of the JSTL
developers, I can't say definitively; hopefully one of the JSTL team
will chime in here.

--
Martin Cooper