Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander E Genaud <lx...@pobox.com> on 2006/02/21 12:12:56 UTC

Re: users Digest 20 Feb 2006 20:29:12 -0000 Issue 6230

Thanks for the reply George,

Scratch directories are not a problem. I am able to set the
workDir="C:\mywork". However, this is not generic enough. I've tried
workDir="~/mywork", but that simply places a directory named "~" in
CATALINA_HOME.

You suggest creating a CatalinaBase directory. And that makes sense to cover
all the output (work, logs, etc). But the question remains; Can I set
CATALINA_BASE to a generic location (such as the user home directory or the
OS temp space)?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
You might try using existing environment variables.

%HOMEPATH% is the user's home path, but they might not
like having temporary files stuffed into their
Documents and Settings directory.

Maybe "%HOMEPATH%\My Documents" wouldn't be too bad.

Or, you could use the TMP or TEMP environment
variable.

Just type:

set

at a command prompt to see what environment variables
are available to use.

Finally, if you do use one of those environment
variables, it might be nice to rewrite the batch file
so that it creates a subdirectory if one doesn't
exist.

Cleaning up when you shut down would also be nice.

Just some thoughts - I'm not much of a Windows person.

/mde/