Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andreas Schlegel <sc...@software.b.uunet.de> on 2002/07/19 00:46:33 UTC

German character problem

Hi,

we have a strange problem and don't know the reason nor how to solve it.
May be someone has an idea.

A Java application (Tomcat 4.0.3, Postgresql 7.2.1, JDBC: PostgreSQL 7.2
JDBC2) runs well on W2k, also on Linux (Suse 7.2) but on SOLARIS OS
(Sparc) we have the following problem:
All specific german characters (ä, ö, ü, ß, ...) return to the Client
(Browser) only as 'ß'. If we send a native request to the database by
psql, we havn't the problem.

We only used the defaults installing Tomcat and Postgresql.
What could be the problem?

Greetings,
Andreas

Re: German character problem

Posted by Andreas Schlegel <sc...@software.b.uunet.de>.
That helps :-)

Posted by Henner Zeller <he...@freiheit.com>.
Hi Andreas,
just add -Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 to the JAVA_OPTS

---
JAVA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1
export JAVA_OPTS
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run
---

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Andreas Schlegel wrote:

[...]
> All specific german characters (ä, ö, ü, ß, ...) return to the Client
> (Browser) only as 'ß'. If we send a native request to the database by
> psql, we havn't the problem.
[...]

ciao,
 -hen