Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2006/03/23 14:29:28 UTC

RE: Tomcat 5.5.16 Bug? messes up when a class has the same name as a package

Tomcat is just adhering to the Sun Java specification naming
conventions. Packages should be lowercase. If Eclipse allows it, it's
being "nice" to you in the same way that IE is "nice" about rendering
invalid HTML.

It's better Tomcat forces you to correct your bad naming conventions
than encouraging it.

Cheers, Allistair.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Allistair Crossley wrote:

>Tomcat is just adhering to the Sun Java specification naming
>conventions. Packages should be lowercase. If Eclipse allows it, it's
>being "nice" to you in the same way that IE is "nice" about rendering
>invalid HTML.
>
>It's better Tomcat forces you to correct your bad naming conventions
>than encouraging it.

To a certain extent I agree with you, but IMO conventions are not
specifications, and should not be enforced as such.  It could give me a
warning when I use a non-conventional name, but it should still function
as intended unless the issue is a specification rather than just a
convention.

Regards,
Dave