Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tovo Gianluca <gi...@telecomitalia.it> on 2004/03/09 10:42:39 UTC

[users@httpd] RE: Certificate not recognized by browsers

Hi Ronald,
it seems that you just didn't show your intermediate CA certificate to the server.
Here your three certs, root (IPS SERVIDORES), CA (ipsCA A1), server (server).
Root and server is OK, but your server should propose also the intermediate CA to the client so it can resolve the entire cert path.
Check the CA cert statement in config file.

Bye

Gianluca Tovo
Telecom Italia Information Technology S.p.A.
OSS&VAS Solutions - IT Security Products & Services
S.S.148 Pontina, Km 29.100 00040 Pomezia (RM)
phone +39 06 91197426
fax +39 06 91197331
mobile  +39 335 5792708

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by
replying to webmaster@telecomitalia.it.
        Thank you
                                        www.telecomitalia.it

Re: [users@httpd] RE: Certificate not recognized by browsers

Posted by fj...@superiorshelving.com.
Salve Gianluca,

> it seems that you just didn't show your intermediate CA certificate to
> the server.

   That's what I thought, too, but according to ipsCA's testing web page
<< http://certs.ipsca.com/checkserver/ >>, everything appears to be
O.K.

> Here your three certs, root (IPS SERVIDORES), CA (ipsCA A1), server
> (server).
> Root and server is OK, but your server should propose also the
> intermediate CA to the client so it can resolve the entire cert path.

   According to ipsCA <<
http://certs.ipsca.com/Support/CSRApache-MOD-SSL.asp >>, Apache users
only need two certs [one of them is a bundled cert].  I've installed
both, along with my key, and I _think_ I've done it correctly, but you
never know.  I'm still new to this.

> Check the CA cert statement in config file.

   Here that section from my ssl.conf file:

<VirtualHost secure.nexelshelving.com:443>
#  General setup for the virtual host
     DocumentRoot "/etc/apache/htdocs/nexelshelving"
    #ServerName has to match the server you entered into the CSR
     ServerName secure.nexelshelving.com:443
     ServerAdmin you@your.address
     ErrorLog /etc/apache/logs/ssl/nexelshelving/ssl_engine_log
     TransferLog /etc/apache/logs/access_log
   SSLEngine on
   SSLProtocol all -SSLv3
   SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
SSLCertificateKeyFile   /etc/apache/ssl/certs/server.key
SSLCertificateFile      /etc/apache/ssl/private/server.crt
SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache/ssl/private/IPS-IPSCABUNDLE.crt
</VirtualHost>

Thanks,
Robert