Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Donald Stinchfield <de...@rbii.com> on 2002/08/07 21:19:02 UTC

html link parser in latest build

Hello,

I'm having difficulties figuring out how to use the HTML Link Parser.
The documentation refers to a Modification Manager and a Web Test
control.  I can't find either of these in the jmeter gui.

I'm using the latest build (2002.08.07).  I can't use the latest
release because it doesn't have the proxy fixes that I need.  There
may be some incompatabilities between the latest release and latest
build.  Should I post my request to jmeter-dev too?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Don

RE: html link parser in latest build

Posted by Donald Stinchfield <de...@rbii.com>.
Thank you for the quick response.

I am evaluating the capabilities of jmeter to determine effort required
to integrate it into our engineering environment.  I've already decided
that jmeter is the right way to go.

I think the tool is great and have all the basic functionality running.
The more advanced features are what I'm really working on now.

I was using the spider example only as a learning tool.  Though in the
back of mind I could see using this technique to create a data pump.

I will no doubt have more specific questions as I move forward and will
gladly post them to the list.

I would like to get the spider example working just to solidify my
understanding.

Regards,
Don

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Aha, well since I am doing documentation as we speak, I will fix the offending section.

First of all, your example below has all the essentials correct.

Second of all, spidering is not a useful thing to have JMeter do - it's neither very good at it,
nor will this teach you much about how well your site works.  I put it in simply as an example -
apparently a bad one.  The poll example is much more realistic.

Furthermore, the examples are meant to show how elements can be arranged in the test tree
to accomplish things - few of them are "working" examples, as that would require a
cooperating web site to bang against.  (Now, there's an idea...)

The user guide mentions a Modification Manager - yes, it does (damn, thought I'd gotten rid of
all of them).  I'll be removing that, and your tree below shows a proper version (not the only
one, mind you).  The user guide mentions "Web Test", which is our former name for "HTTP
Request".  So, I will be changing that too.

Are you trying to learn all the abstract concepts available in JMeter in order to
understand/evaluate JMeter, or is there something in particular you need it to do, but don't
know how to do it?  If the latter, I could probably better help you if you describe your problem
specifically.

-Mike

On 8 Aug 2002 at 9:58, Donald Stinchfield wrote:

> Yes I did misunderstand it.  I'm still having some difficulty
> getting the spider example working with latest nightly build.
>
> I tried a number of configurations, but can't get it to work.
> The User Guide mentions a Modification Manager and Web Test tool.
>
> Here's how I understand your suggestion:
>
>  	thread group
> 		http request (the response from this request is what's parsed?)
>  		simple controller
>  			http html link parser
>  			http request (not sure if this is correct, doc says use
> 			              a Web Test tool, but that's not part of
> 				        the GUI in the latest build)
>  		view results tree
>
> I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.  I just don't know what it is.
>
> Can someone describe a spider example using components available in the
> latest build?
>
> Regards,
> Don

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688

RE: html link parser in latest build

Posted by Donald Stinchfield <de...@rbii.com>.

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Ah, you misunderstand the Link Parser.  It is used to modify values in your HTTP Requests,
based on forms and anchor tags found in the previous response.  It does not create or
generate requests of it's own.

-Mike

On 7 Aug 2002 at 17:23, Donald Stinchfield wrote:

> Thanks.  I gave that a go and still I can't get the HTML link parser to
> follow links.  I have the following
>
> 	thread group
> 		simple controller
> 			http request
> 			http html link parser
> 		view results tree
>
> Is this correct?
>
> The processing then is the http request is sent.  The response is parsed
> by http html link parser.  Then requests are sent out for links found in
> the html.  If this is correct can you tell me what in the HTML actually
> triggers an additional request?  Is it "href" attributes?
>
> Regards,
> Don

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688

RE: html link parser in latest build

Posted by Donald Stinchfield <de...@rbii.com>.

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Sounds like you are using the a nightly tarball.  Using the HTML Link Parser is easy - you just
attach it to whatever Request you wish to modify.  Or, you can attach it to any Controller, and
it will modify all Requests within that Controller.  Otherwise, it works the same as before.

-Mike

On 7 Aug 2002 at 15:19, Donald Stinchfield wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having difficulties figuring out how to use the HTML Link Parser.
> The documentation refers to a Modification Manager and a Web Test
> control.  I can't find either of these in the jmeter gui.
>
> I'm using the latest build (2002.08.07).  I can't use the latest
> release because it doesn't have the proxy fixes that I need.  There
> may be some incompatabilities between the latest release and latest
> build.  Should I post my request to jmeter-dev too?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
> Don

Michael Stover