Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/02 13:21:07 UTC

Re: JMeter PMC issues

On 30/07/05, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 08:02 -0400, Michael Stover wrote:
> > The Jakarta PMC is not going to allow a JMeter release unless it can be
> > backed by 3 Jakarta PMC members.
>
> <snip>
>
> this isn't just a jakarta thing but apache wide.
>
> it is not possible to create an official ASF release without the backing
> of three pmc members. for legal reasons, only votes by pmc members can
> be binding. (each pmc is a committee and can act on behalf of the ASF:
> individual committers cannot.) i know that this isn't how many projects
> operated in the past but this change is inevitable.
>
> the major advantage that this structure gives is that release managers
> gain some measure of legal protection (they are acting on behalf of the
> ASF) and could be defended by the ASF in any action against them.
>
> jmeter isn't the only jakarta sub-project which is going to have to deal
> with this issue in the next few months but it just happens to have
> bubbled to the top first...
>
> <snip>
>
> > My personal preference is to make JMeter a top-level project.  Jakarta
> > wants us out anyway, and it seems inevitable in the long run.  Might as
> > well get it over with is my feeling.
>
> i don't think anyone wants to force jmeter to leave (i'm sorry if i gave
> that impression).
>
> the only way to avoid management is for active committers to be pmc
> members. that way, normal votes on the jmeter list would be binding
> legally and there's no need for any extra layers of management. life
> proceeds pretty much as it has done in the past. everyone's happy :)
>
> the easiest way to achieve this would be for the active jmeter
> committers to accept nominations to the jakarta pmc. if the active

OK by me - seems the simplest (minimum effort) solution, assuming we
can get enough +1s...

> jmeter committers don't feel comfortable with that then they could move
> to their own TLP. alternatively, jmeter could ask to join the tomcat

I see no pressing need to become a TLP, but I'm not against the idea.

> TLP. there is no escaping the need for active committers to sign up as
> members of some pmc, though.

S.

Re: JMeter PMC issues

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/2/05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see no pressing need to become a TLP, but I'm not against the idea.

I'd like to reopen this idea again :)

I think it's time to simplify Jakarta, chiefly to:

a) improve oversight by making me a middleman on less things.

b) help provide Jakarta with identity by flattening Jakarta into a
'Apache Java Reusable Components' type concept. ie) Commons + other
components.

Some thoughts:

1) jmeter.apache.org? testing.apache.org? (or some other test thing).
Would testing.apache.org contain cactus and jmeter? (obviously
something to ask them too).

2) I'd like to offer to be on the new pmc mailing list to offer advice
etc if you'd want me.

Not that I'm starting to push or anything, but I am :)

Hen