Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com> on 2002/12/06 02:11:49 UTC

Can't compile some JSPs

I posted this before but got nothing, perhaps folks didn't like my subject,
but this is STILL happening (I'm trying to build Tomcat from source so I can
hack it to get better information at this stage, but that's a trauma in its
own right).

Any glimpses of hope would be appreciated.

Tomcat Binary 4.1.12
W2K
Cygwin

I have our WAR that runs peachy in 3.2, and I'm trying to get it to work in
4.1.

I downloaded the binary.

Extracted it.

Copy our WAR into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps

cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin
./catalina.sh run

Tomcat extracts the WAR and starts up.

I go to our login url: http://localhost:8080/app/Login.jsp

THIS compiles fine, and then redirects to a LoginTemplate.jsp.

When the LoginTemplate.jsp tries to compile, I get a happy page filled with:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /LoginTemplate.jsp(131,12)
jsp.error.badaction
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.
java:94)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:417
)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:126
)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseAction(Parser.java:676)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:807)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:122)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:199)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:153)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:219)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:323)
 at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:4
74)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:1
84)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:289)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:240)

(It goes on beyond this, but I'm guessing it's not real relevant to the
issue).

Now, this is a pretty meaningless message.

I took a guess that this: /LoginTemplate.jsp(131,12)  is trying to point me
to some relevant location within the JSP, and at line 131 of
LoginTemplate.jsp we have:

<jsp:include page="/Include/Login/logincontrols.jsp" flush="true" />
        <jsp:param name="testing" value='yes'/>
</jsp:include>

I also tried using the JSPC in hope that it would give me something
relevant, but all I ever got was a Null Pointer Exception, and nothing
generated.

$CATALINA_HOME/bin> jspc.sh ../webapps/app/LoginTemplate.jsp
2002-11-20 11:35:14 - ERROR-the file '\LoginTemplate.jsp' generated the
following general exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
error:null

I also got the same result when trying to compile the Login.jsp (which
compiled fine in the container), and when I tried the -webapp switch.

At this point, I'm pretty dead in the water and would appreciate any glaring
omissions that I've made.

Thanx!

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)

Re: Can't compile some JSPs

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com>.
From: "Justin Ruthenbeck" <ju...@nextengine.com>
Subject: Re: Can't compile some JSPs

> ><jsp:include page="/Include/Login/logincontrols.jsp" flush="true" />
> >         <jsp:param name="testing" value='yes'/>
> ></jsp:include>
>
> You closed the tag on the first line (extra /).  Amazing what a second
pair
> of eyes can see (or, in this case, an extra 2k pairs!)  :)
>
> And single quotes around value='yes' ??

THANK YOU Justin, that was the key I needed. I guess the JSP compiler in 4.x
is more strict than the one for 3.x.

Thanx again, that helped a lot!

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)

Re: Can't compile some JSPs

Posted by Justin Ruthenbeck <ju...@nextengine.com>.

><jsp:include page="/Include/Login/logincontrols.jsp" flush="true" />
>         <jsp:param name="testing" value='yes'/>
></jsp:include>

You closed the tag on the first line (extra /).  Amazing what a second pair
of eyes can see (or, in this case, an extra 2k pairs!)  :)

And single quotes around value='yes' ??

justin