Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> on 2003/12/24 01:09:40 UTC

How can I add a JMeter property in code

Hello JMeter developers - I am trying to create a JMeter config element that
automatically initialize "JMeter variables" (not sure if this is the correct
term) from Java properties.

E.g.: If the properties were passed into JMeter at runtime:
	ce.debug=...
	ce.cxml.user1=...
	ce.cxml.pass1=...
	ce.oci.user1=...
...the new 'LoadPropertiesElement' element could take the string "ce" as
it's input, then automatically initializes JMeter variables based on the ce*
properties:
	${ce.debug}
	${ce.cxml.user1}
	${ce.cxml.pass1}
	${ce.oci.user1}
These variables can then be used in the test plan.

I created a new LoadPropertiesElement (extends AbstractTestElement) and
LoadPropertiesElementGui (extends AbstractConfigGui) and got it running.
However, I have run into problems setting the 'JMeter variables' in
LoadPropertiesElementGui.modifyTestElement(). Here is some debug code:
    public void modifyTestElement(TestElement el)
    {
     	super.configureTestElement(el);
	Properties p  = System.getProperties();
	Enumeration e = p.propertyNames();
	while (e.hasMoreElements()) {
		String propName = (String) e.nextElement();
		if (propName.startsWith("java")) {
			System.out.println(propName);
			System.out.println("---------------------");

			//  >>>Does not work!? <<<
			el.setProperty(propName, .getProperty(propName));
		}
	}
    }

Is what I am doing above the correct way to set 'JMeter variables'? When the
code runs, the 'java.home' property name is printed to stdout, but
${java.home} stays unsubstituted.

With regards,
Sonam Chauhan
--