Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2005/10/29 05:38:04 UTC

Struts class diagram

Would there be any interest in adding an overall UML class diagram to
the Struts documentation and/or web site?

Here is an example: http://www.omnytex.com/struts124uml.zip

Note: That's an almost 5MB download!

That's been squashed a bit so the quality would be better in the real
thing.  It's pretty big though... almost 5MB for this, and it's
something like 32,000 pixels wide (!).  Then again, it's the ENTIRE
1.2.4 code base, including inheritance and association paths.  I was
thinking it would be nice to do this for all Struts versions, but after
seeing that size I think it probably only makes sense for 1.3 where each
subcomponent could be done individually.  The size shouldn't be so
monstrous then.

If anyone is interested, I can go ahead and generate a batch for 1.3
this weekend.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: Struts class diagram

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
FYI, for anyone that might want to look at this, I *highly* suggest only
trying to open it in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or some true image
editing software that can handle a large image.  IIRC, I saw 300MB
uncompressed in PSP, so I wouldn't suggest opening it with any old wimpy
image viewer :)  Of course, if your a bit low on memory it's probably
not a great idea either way LOL

Frank

Re: Struts class diagram

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>

> Heh, I wonder if there's a Maven plug-in for this yet it?  Seems like
> something that would fit in with its toolset rather well.

Possibly...

http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-dotuml-plugin/index.html

http://www.spinellis.gr/sw/umlgraph/

--
Wendy

RE: Struts class diagram

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Mon, October 31, 2005 2:08 am, Thor Kristensen said:
> I realize that this should be an automized task (always keeping diagrams
> up-to-date), but it would be perfect if the diagrams were rendered, in the
> browser, as "clickable" links, thus clicking on the package-only diagram,
> would link to the diagram of that specific package.

That's actually a really good idea, but I'm not sure, can you have image
maps in javadocs?  I can't remember the last time I did an image map, I'm
not even sure I remember how they work :)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this that will be easily
reproducible in the future and meet the criteria we're discussing... doing
it at the package level (with the package relation diagram you mentioned,
good suggestino!), small file size (I'm thinking 50k max, trying for about
half that) and in a vertical orientation (i.e., max width of about 700-800
pixels).  I'm OK with PNG too by the way.  I don't mind doing two
versions, a more "plain" one and one with more details, but frankly if I
can get all the details in and still meet the other goals, that's less
work and so that would be my first goal.

In the end though, I'm *NOT* signing up to do this by hand :)  If I can
coerce one of the tools I have to spit something out automatically that
doesn't require more than a few minutes of touch-up afterwards, then life
is good.  If I can't, then someone else can volunteer. :)

Heh, I wonder if there's a Maven plug-in for this yet it?  Seems like
something that would fit in with its toolset rather well.

> Regards
>   Thor

Frank

RE: Struts class diagram

Posted by Thor Kristensen <tk...@northmann.com>.
Hi, Frank and Wendy.

As a developer using Struts, I think that both your ideas would be nice.
- Wendy's way: A ClassName only diagram showing inheritance in a simple
black/white diagram would help in the overall understanding. Could also be
on the package level, although we'll need a package diagram in front to
display the relations of the packages. (Which can be quite hard to display)
- Franks way: Detailed diagrams (not only the one with all classes, of
course) in color, displaying it all as it should be (UML Class Diagram,
using regular notation of access modifiers) would be a great help when you
don't have the full "map of Struts" in memory.

Anyway, in both cases, please save the files in .gif or .png files (should
be accessible for all platforms) and reduce the amount of colors. That way,
the filesize will remain low and the graphics-quality (sharp borders / high
contrast) will be improved. If you insist on keeping the files large, use
.tif files. :-) Either way, save the images in 72DPI as it should be used
on-screen.

Re: Struts class diagram

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>

Re: Struts class diagram

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Yep, here you go:

http://www.omnytex.com/actionpackage.zip

That's considerably smaller (128K and more usable size)... also in full
color (couldn't do it before because of the size).  Also, I can move the
classes around, which I didn't realize before, so I can organize it a
bit better.

I also have some other tools for doing this that I can play with, but
this was the quickest and easiest.

I was actually thinking of printing off the whole thing just to see how
big it would wind up being :)  I think it was something like 160x112
inches or something like that, so that's like 18x10 sheets of 8.5x11
paper... might be fun to put up in the office :)

But anyway, that's at the package level.  I can do it pretty much at
whatever level everyone thinks is best, not a problem.

Frank

Re: Struts class diagram

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>