Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Patrick Dean Rusk <PR...@foliage.com> on 2004/06/07 15:03:45 UTC

Was locking design finalized?

The design discussions about locking have died off on this list and the
locking-design.txt hasn't changed in 11 days. Does this mean that the design
was finalized and is now proceeding? Or is it being carried on in IRC? Is
there yet a projection for when it will be available?

Thanks.

Patrick Rusk

Re: Was locking design finalized?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 10:03, Patrick Dean Rusk wrote:
>

>>The design discussions about locking have died off on this list and the
>>locking-design.txt hasn't changed in 11 days. Does this mean that the design
>>was finalized and is now proceeding? Or is it being carried on in IRC? Is
>>there yet a projection for when it will be available?
>>

>Sorry, I've been pretty busy for the last 11 days.  I'm planning to try
>and "push" the discussion forward again today.

Latest stat was that Greg and I agreed to disagree about where to put
the locking implementation. I owe a draft ACL design, because that's
related to that particular decision.

Re: Was locking design finalized?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
news <ne...@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 06/07/2004 11:03:45 AM:

> The design discussions about locking have died off on this list and the
> locking-design.txt hasn't changed in 11 days. Does this mean that the
design
> was finalized and is now proceeding? Or is it being carried on in IRC?
Is
> there yet a projection for when it will be available?

I was going to ask the same question today.

I was also wondering whether it would make sense to try to push towards a
1.1 release with the current set of enhancements that have been completed
and then follow that with a 1.2 release when the locking enhancement is
finalized.  I think there are a lot of people that would like to get their
hands on the new native file system backend and there have been some other
nice enhancements as well.  It seems like it would be better overall for
the project if it maintained a nice release rhythm.

That being said, perhaps some of you are well into the locking enhancement
already, making this a moot point.

Thanks

Mark