Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "MARU, SOHIL (SBCSI)" <sm...@sbc.com> on 2004/04/02 20:25:21 UTC

Struts with Cocoon

Hello All,
   We are in process of designing a framework using struts. I am looking to get rid of JSPs and replace the View with just XSLs. I was wondering if anyone has done the following:

1) Extending struts so that each action tag forwards the request to an XSL servlet which using an XSL to transform XML into HTML.
			OR

2) Using Cocoon with struts.

If you have, what kind of results have you seen as far as performance is concerned? Also which one is easier to pull off, I am well versed with XSL so to me option 1 is easier to do but if someone has taken the option 2 approach, I would like their opinion on level of difficulty and time it took to develop that.
Thanks,
Sohil

Re: Struts with Cocoon

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
I hear this sort of thing a lot and just want to add that JSP and XML/XSL(T) are
not mutually exclusive. JSP can be quite effective at generating not only your
XML content, but also your XSLT stylesheets (it is XML after all). JSP has it's
flaws but it doesn't require you to make a choice between it and XML/XSLT.

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

RE: Struts with Cocoon

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
hi,

did you take a look at:
http://it.cappuccinonet.com/strutscx/index.php
(Struts with XSLT (never used it on my own)
or
http://struts.sourceforge.net/struts-cocoon/index.html
(also never used it on my own ... ;-))

but perhaps you got some ideas on that.