Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2016/05/23 21:48:10 UTC

Question about publishing the website

Hi,

I am trying to publish an update to our website, but got quite confused.
I am following `website/README.md` and have run

   $REEF_HOME/website$ mvn clean site:site

and

   $REEF_HOME$ mvn javadoc:aggregate

What I am confused about is the directory layout. `README.md` states:

> The site.xml file automatically searches for the apidocs at
> `apidocs/{$REEF_VERSION}/index.html`. When copying the apidocs to the
> svn, it is crucial to use this exact path because multiple
> index.html's exist and they must be referenced without ambiguity.

Where does it search for these API docs? After the commands above, I
have `$REEF_HOME/website/target/staging/site` which does not contain the
api docs and `$REEF_HOME/target/site/apidocs`, which contains the API
docs for the current REEF version.

Am I now to copy the API docs from `$REEF_HOME/target/site/apidocs` to
`$REEF_HOME/website/target/staging/site/{$REEF_VERSION}`?

Thanks,

Markus

Re: Question about publishing the website

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-05-23 3:03 PM, Mariia Mykhailova wrote:
> I didn't realize we have instructions at website/readme.md as well,
> I've always referred for instructions to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/REEF/Updating+the+website+for+a+new+release

This goes into details about how to do a new version of it all. I just
want to post a nicer index.md. Can someone with more knowledge please
comment on how to do that?

Which brings me back to my earlier question about using something
simpler for the site :-)

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
I didn't realize we have instructions at website/readme.md as well, I've always referred for instructions to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/REEF/Updating+the+website+for+a+new+release

From its information, yes, you have to copy apidocs.
At some point I think I've seen information that if you don't need to upload new apidocs, just update the website, you don't need to copy them over, they'll just be preserved. But I can't find it now

Do we want to move site publishing instructions to readme.md, like we did for build instructions? They also depend on the version we want to build/publish

-Mariia