Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Keith and Leisa Ferguson <fe...@bardstowncable.net> on 2014/01/04 20:07:23 UTC

email program

I just found out about open office.  It looks really great.  I might be
getting a new computer and did not want spend the price of the computer on
MS Office.  What I am needing to know is there a good email program out
there similar to Outlook?  By this I mean I would like to save my outlook
files to a thumb drive as a .pst file and transfer them to the new program.
Also I would like to use my current email address
ferguson@bardstowncable.net.  So many people have this email address, so
g-mail wouldn't work.  Thanks in advance for your insight.

keith

Re: email program

Posted by Tim Deaton <ti...@timdeaton.org>.
Mozilla Thunderbird is an excellent email client that runs on Windows
and Linux.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/?icn=tabz
The Mozilla Lightning add-on gives Thunderbird calendar capabilities as
well.
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/projects/calendar/

These are 32-bit programs, but  I use them on Windows 7 (64-bit).

-- Tim
===========================
I know the plans I have for you:
Plans to prosper you and not to harm you;
Plans to give you hope and a future.
                --- God (Jeremiah 29:11)

Re: email program

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM, John Meyer
<jo...@pueblocomputing.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/2014 12:07 PM, Keith and Leisa Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> I just found out about open office.  It looks really great.  I might be
>> getting a new computer and did not want spend the price of the computer on
>> MS Office.  What I am needing to know is there a good email program out
>> there similar to Outlook?  By this I mean I would like to save my outlook
>> files to a thumb drive as a .pst file and transfer them to the new
>> program.
>> Also I would like to use my current email address
>> ferguson@bardstowncable.net.  So many people have this email address, so
>> g-mail wouldn't work.  Thanks in advance for your insight.
>>

>> keith
>>

> Thunderbird

Check out this article on how to use Thunderbird:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files

Re: email program

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2014-01-04, 1:08 PM John Meyer wrote:
> On 1/4/2014 12:07 PM, Keith and Leisa Ferguson wrote:
>> I just found out about open office.  It looks really great.  I might be
>> getting a new computer and did not want spend the price of the computer on
>> MS Office.  What I am needing to know is there a good email program out
>> there similar to Outlook?  By this I mean I would like to save my outlook
>> files to a thumb drive as a .pst file and transfer them to the new program.
>> Also I would like to use my current email address
>> ferguson@bardstowncable.net.  So many people have this email address, so
>> g-mail wouldn't work.  Thanks in advance for your insight.
>>

>> keith
>>

> Thunderbird

Install Thunderbird on your current machine and import your Outlook files.
Thunderbird can't read .pst files and needs Outlook installed in order to import the files. See:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: email program

Posted by John Meyer <jo...@pueblocomputing.com>.
On 1/4/2014 12:07 PM, Keith and Leisa Ferguson wrote:
> I just found out about open office.  It looks really great.  I might be
> getting a new computer and did not want spend the price of the computer on
> MS Office.  What I am needing to know is there a good email program out
> there similar to Outlook?  By this I mean I would like to save my outlook
> files to a thumb drive as a .pst file and transfer them to the new program.
> Also I would like to use my current email address
> ferguson@bardstowncable.net.  So many people have this email address, so
> g-mail wouldn't work.  Thanks in advance for your insight.
>

> keith

Thunderbird

Re: email program

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Keith and Leisa Ferguson wrote:
> I just found out about open office.  It looks really great.  I might be
> getting a new computer and did not want spend the price of the computer on
> MS Office.  What I am needing to know is there a good email program out
> there similar to Outlook?  By this I mean I would like to save my outlook
> files to a thumb drive as a .pst file and transfer them to the new program.
> Also I would like to use my current email address
> ferguson@bardstowncable.net.  So many people have this email address, so
> g-mail wouldn't work.  Thanks in advance for your insight.

I don't believe there's anything compatible with those .pst files.
However, many people use Thunderbird for email.  You can also add the
Lightning calendar and even sync it to Google Calendar.  Email address
should stay the same.  Just configure Thunderbird to use it.  In fact,
Thunderbird can often automagically configure itself, once you give it
your email address.

You can get Thunderbird from www.mozilla.org.  While you're there, you
might also want to get the Firefox browser.