Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2006/05/08 13:45:37 UTC

1.2.5 Release [WAS: Re: sounds familiar?]

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Michael Wechner escribió:
>> 1.2.5 is ready, since it's a maintenance release ;-)
> Should we need a vote before releasing?

I don't think so, but it certainly makes sense to ask if people are
comfortable with releasing 1.2.5.

Michi

Re: 1.2.5 Release [WAS: Re: sounds familiar?]

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> such that it is self-contained because the one in the Wiki isn't
>> specific enough and also overkill.
>
> signing releases is not 'overkill', it is policy.

agreed, whereas I didn't mean that everything is overkill

> having done multiple releases, i can tell you that your
> 'self-contained' version doesn't contain the things to look out for
> when you actually do a release.

well, it's not finished yet. I have stopped it after Antonio announced
that he wants to be RM.

Actual input is very welcome

Michi

Re: 1.2.5 Release [WAS: Re: sounds familiar?]

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>>> Should we need a vote before releasing?
>>

>> I don't think so, but it certainly makes sense to ask if people are
>> comfortable with releasing 1.2.5.
>

> this is not how it works.  i don't see why we need to have these
> tedious discussions about maintenance releases all the time.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectReleasePlan

since Antonio suggested himself as RM this plan isn't really applicable
anymore.

> has all the information needed to cut a release, so the RM should send
> a note to the list around the time when one is due, and then prepare
> the release if there have been no objections.
>
> AFTER the release is prepared, the RM sends an email to ask PMC
> members to test and +1 the release candidate. if it passes the vote,
> it goes up on the mirror and is announced after a 24h wait.

I have started a couple of months ago a revised version of

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectReleaseHowTo

within

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/RELEASE-MANAGEMENT.txt

such that it is self-contained because the one in the Wiki isn't
specific enough and also overkill.

So, yes I think it makes sense to re-discuss it even if it's tedious.
Of course nobody is forced to join this discussion.

Michi

> -gregor

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: 1.2.5 Release [WAS: Re: sounds familiar?]

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectReleasePlan has all the information