Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Myriam Delperier <my...@ajlsm.com> on 2003/02/20 09:59:52 UTC

footnote-separator

hello
i'm sure this questions has already been asked
but does anyone know if it is possible to put a separator before the first
footnote of each page.?
I've heard about something named xsl-footnote-separator but i don't know if
it works and how it works
ps: i'm using fop 0.20.5rc

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Magnus Sjöberg wrote:
> Are there any significant problems with adding support for
> the footnote-separator (in terms of coding complexity), or
> is it just a low.priority fix??
> If not, I might take some time to look at it, since it would
> be a nice feature to have

Start with Footnote.java and track how the footnote body propagates
through various pendingFootnote lists to the point where it is
finally laid out on the page. At this point there should be a check
whether the page already has a footnote area and if necessary one
is created. You have simply grab the content of the footnote separator
flow from the page sequence and render it into the footnote area first.
Take rendering other static content as a start. There are some tricky
issues regarding overflows and such. Disregarding them it should
be a matter of roughly an hour or something, in case the sentences
above ring a bell. Otherwise, well, it's a bit more time consuming.

J.Pietschmann

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Magnus Sjöberg wrote:

> Are there any significant problems with adding support for
> the footnote-separator (in terms of coding complexity), or
> is it just a low.priority fix??
Actually I have no idea how much efforts it's going to take.

> If not, I might take some time to look at it, since it would
> be a nice feature to have
Any help is *greatly* appreciated, we permanently suffer from lack of
developer resources. But 0.20.5 is probably last maintenance release in 0.X
series and its development has been frozen, so you are invited into FOP 1.0
development.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Magnus Sjöberg <ma...@secode.com>.
Sorry for giving bad advice, I was thinking about a page
footer separator, not handling the case with several
footnotes.

Are there any significant problems with adding support for
the footnote-separator (in terms of coding complexity), or
is it just a low.priority fix??
If not, I might take some time to look at it, since it would
be a nice feature to have

/// Magnus

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Myriam Delperier <my...@ajlsm.com>.
> Actually footnote-body content is defined as (%block;)+, where %block; is
block
> block-container
> table-and-caption
> table
> list-block
> Are you valid with it?

i've got this
<fo:footnote>

<fo:inline font-size="7pt" vertical-align="super">196</fo:inline>

<fo:footnote-body>

<fo:block space-after="3pt" space-before="10pt" start-indent="0cm">

<fo:inline font-size="7pt" vertical-align="super">196</fo:inline>

<fo:inline font-family="Helvetica" font-size="8pt" text-align="justify">

blah blah blah

</fo:inline>

</fo:block>

</fo:footnote-body>

</fo:footnote>

and i've got a problem if I put something (the block which contains the
empty table) just before the block of the footnote body

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Myriam Delperier <my...@ajlsm.com>.

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Re: footnote-separator

Posted by Magnus Sjöberg <ma...@secode.com>.
You could use an 'empty' table, and set the border-x
attributes.
This would at least give you a line separator.
I used this a while ago, putting it first in the footer to
achieve the 'separator' effect.
Example below. Called it using xsl:call-template
name='footer-leader'
(not nice, but works)

<xsl:template name="footer-leader">
    <fo:block>
      <fo:table table-layout="fixed">
        <fo:table-column column-width="150mm"/>
        <fo:table-body>
          <fo:table-row line-height="2pt">
          <fo:table-cell
            border-bottom-style="solid"
            border-bottom-color="black"
            border-bottom-width="0.5pt">
            <fo:block
              font-size="10pt"
              color="white">_
            </fo:block>
          </fo:table-cell>
        </fo:table-row>
        <fo:table-row line-height="10pt">
         <fo:table-cell
           border-top-style="solid"
           border-top-color="black"
           border-top-width="0.5pt">
           <fo:block font-size="10pt" color="white">_
           </fo:block>
         </fo:table-cell>
        </fo:table-row>
      </fo:table-body>