Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca> on 2005/06/25 17:28:28 UTC

mod_python docs appendix A - changes in 3.2

I'm working on putting the docs in order for the 3.2 release, and
thought I'd update appendix A as I go.

ie, http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/app-changes.html

So, what are the changes from 3.1? Should major bug fixes be listed or
just new features/changed behaviour? Feel free to flesh these out to
full line or add more.

Changed import mechanism.
(I wasn't paying too much attention to this whole discussion, so maybe
someone else could comment on how this changed and the possible impact
on user code?)

New version attribute.

Added publisher.get_page() which allows the import of a published page.

Added new session class FileSession which stores the data for each
session in a separate file.

More??

Regards,
Jim

Re: mod_python docs appendix A - changes in 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
> Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
>> BTW, there's a new feature in JIRA, now : it looks like if a
>> MODPYTHON-xx bug number is inserted into a subversion commit message,
>> the commit is reference in a "Subversion commit" tab in the bug page.
>> Example : http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-48
>

> You pointed that out previously, so I've been making a point of doing it
> with my commits. However, JIRA does not seem to send these commit
> comments to the mailing list in the same way it does regular comments.

For some reason, the last couple of commits I've made have not been
picked up by JIRA, in spite of referencing the issue in the commit message.

eg. MODPYTHON-45 - JIRA picked up the commit message
     MODPYTHON-58 - JIRA missed it.

Odd. JIRA was really slow or inaccessible last week. Over the weekend it
  was better, but it seems to me that the performance improvement
coincided with it ignoring the subversion commits. Did something change?

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I don't have much time now but there should be a complete list here :
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=11060&styleName=Html&projectId=10640&Create=Create

Nice. That will certainly make things easier.

> What you should add to your list are :
>
> - a fix/improvement for FieldStorage allowing for better file upload management
> - lots of bugfixes ;)

OK.

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

I don't have much time now but there should be a complete list here :

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=11060&styleName=Html&projectId=10640&Create=Create

What you should add to your list are :

- a fix/improvement for FieldStorage allowing for better file upload management
- lots of bugfixes ;)

BTW, there's a new feature in JIRA, now : it looks like if a
MODPYTHON-xx bug number is inserted into a subversion commit message,
the commit is reference in a "Subversion commit" tab in the bug page.
Example : http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-48

Regards,
Nicoas

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Nicolas Lehuen wrote:

> 2) The only thing I'm not too proud of, retrospectively, is
> publisher.get_page.

One thing we can do is leave it undocumented and put a comment in the code
warning people not to rely on it as it is not a "sure thing".

Grisha

Re: import issues for 3.2 (Was mod_python docs appendix A - changes in 3.2)

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
I don't have a really have a clear understanding of all the issues with
the import mechanism, but I'd rather see a correct fix rather than a
quick fix.

Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
> 4) Graham, I don't know what it takes to be a member of the
> development team, but to me you are one :).

+1 on that. I'm in awe of the amount of time Graham devotes to answering
questions on the mailing lists and for me his input on python-dev has
the same weight as any developer.

Thank you Graham. I've been meaning to say that for a while. :)

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Graham on the whole, but I'd like to point out a few things.

1) The current publisher implementation, with its own dynamic loading
mechanism, already fixes
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-9
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-10
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-11 and a bit of
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-8 . So I think we
should keep it until we have a "unified importing theory".

2) The only thing I'm not too proud of, retrospectively, is
publisher.get_page. Like Graham wrote, this introduces a third way for
a developer to handle imports, which is bad. So I agree that even if
we keep the current implementation of the publisher, we should remove
publisher.get_page.

3) My suggestion for an "unified importing theory" is :
a) static importing should be done with import and end up in sys.modules
b) dynamic importing should be done with apache.import_module and end
up in its own module cache, not polluting sys.modules.
c) root level handlers should be imported statically, published pages
and application specific code should be imported dynamically
d) to be practical in a shared hosting environment, dynamic importing
should support reloading, of course, with dependencies, so that
restarting the server whenever published pages or application-specific
code is modified would not be needed.

4) Graham, I don't know what it takes to be a member of the
development team, but to me you are one :).

Regards,
Nicolas

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>.
On 26/06/2005, at 1:28 AM, Jim Gallacher wrote:
> Changed import mechanism.
> (I wasn't paying too much attention to this whole discussion, so
> maybe someone else could comment on how this changed and the possible
> impact on user code?)
>
> New version attribute.
>
> Added publisher.get_page() which allows the import of a published page.

I know I am not part of the development team, so can only make
suggestions,
but I personally don't believe that the new import mechanism which has
been
developed just for publisher should be included.

There are already problems which can arise due to the mixing of the
"import"
statement and "apache.import_module()", and now a third system is being
brought into the picture which behaves different enough that in itself
may
cause confusion, but when wrongly mixed with the others could result in
mess. I know I don't want to have to be answering questions about it and
if it did come down to it, I probably wouldn't.

Thus, I would be suggesting leaving this feature out. You shouldn't
however
let this delay 3.2. People understand that module importing is broken
and
how to work around it, leaving it that way a bit longer is not going to
cause any new harm. At least, less harm than if this new scheme has to
be
ripped out at a later date.

Instead, fixing of the main module importer should be carried out. I
know
that others disagree with some of my ideas on that, but I do believe it
can
be fixed and the only features you would loose would be the ability to
import
parts of packages when using "apache.import_module()" explicitly and
this
only because to support packages properly when autoreloading is
supported
overly complicates the design to the point that it isn't practical. This
ability of the current importer to deal with packages is actually broken
in various ways anyway and I don't think dropping it would cause any
real
problem. Note that this wouldn't prevent use of packages or parts of
packages
from standard Python locations from any of the Handler directives.

Anyway, the point of this mail is simply to register my viewpoint that
the
new publisher specific import mechanism should not be included. I am not