Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@eurobell.co.uk> on 2002/05/24 00:31:19 UTC

[Collections][Submit] TreeNode and friends

The following link contains a submission to collections of classes to cover
trees:
http://www.scolebourne.eurobell.co.uk/TreeNode.zip

This was discussed earlier in the year, but failed to come to a conclusion
due to other commitments of Kief Morris at that time. I have now implemented
an API for a collections based tree collection that does not preclude later
addition of Kief's ideas:
- TreeNode is a node in a tree. It's children are represented by an
updatable List of TreeNode objects. It holds a user controllable value and
one TreeNode parent.
- TreeIterator allows iteration through the tree
- ArrayTreeNode implements the TreeNode interface
- TreeUtils provides tree manipulation methods similar to those provided in
CollectionUtils, plus integration with Swing nodes.

It would be nice to get Trees into commons collections, as I've always
considered them to be an omission from the java version. Once in, it might
be possible to use the Tree class in XML and Xpath work in commons. Anyway,
see what you think ;-)

Stephen