Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/09 15:20:50 UTC

Problems building apr 1.4.5 on AIX - not sure what I am seeing...

Hi. Previously, I had only had experience with APR as embedded in httpd. I
am working on creating some packages, starting with httpd, and I would
prefer to do this with apr/apu as seperate from the other packages - as I
understand the apr package is intended.

I updated the config.layout to use the following:

#   Adopt layout using /opt (read-only) filesystem conventions on AIX
#       Standard executables in /opt (shareable)
#       man pages at AIX standard location (/usr/share/man)
#       editable files, scripts in /etc and /var
<Layout AIX>
    prefix:        /opt
    exec_prefix:   /opt
    bindir:        ${exec_prefix}/bin
    sbindir:       ${exec_prefix}/sbin
    includedir:    ${exec_prefix}/include
    libdir:        ${exec_prefix}/lib
    libexecdir:    ${exec_prefix}/libexec
    sysconfdir:    /etc/apr
    datadir:       /usr/share
    errordir:      ${datadir}/error
    iconsdir:      ${datadir}/icons
    htdocsdir:     ${datadir}/htdocs
    mandir:        ${datadir}/man
    manualdir:     ${datadir}/manual
    cgidir:        ${datadir}/cgi-bin
    localstatedir: /var
    runtimedir:    ${localstatedir}/run
    logfiledir:    ${localstatedir}/logs
    proxycachedir: ${localstatedir}/proxy
    installbuilddir: ${localstatedir}/build
</Layout>

Maybe I broke it myself, moving the installbuilddir to /var/build -
however, the command
root@x105:[/data/prj/apr-1.4.5]apr-1-config --installbuilddir
/var/apr/build-1

does not seem to following this at all.

It seems to be ${datadir}/build-${APR_MAJOR_VERSION} -- in any case, where
is the name change coming from?

regards,
Michael

Re: Problems building apr 1.4.5 on AIX - not sure what I am seeing...

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 26 Feb 2012, at 2:22 PM, Michael Felt wrote:

> With apr v1.4.6 still get same problem that the layout directive is being ignored -

As I understand the layout option is only supported by httpd, not APR. Both APR and APR-util are just simple libraries, so shouldn't need any special handling, and there is nothing in there that is user serviceable (no config files, no logfiles).

According to ./configure --help on APR, you can control where the directories go using the standard configure options as follows:

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR            object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR        C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR     C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --datarootdir=DIR       read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
  --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]
  --infodir=DIR           info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
  --localedir=DIR         locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
  --mandir=DIR            man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
  --docdir=DIR            documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/PACKAGE]
  --htmldir=DIR           html documentation [DOCDIR]
  --dvidir=DIR            dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
  --pdfdir=DIR            pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
  --psdir=DIR             ps documentation [DOCDIR]

Regards,
Graham

Re: Problems building apr 1.4.5 on AIX - not sure what I am seeing...

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
With apr v1.4.6 still get same problem that the layout directive is being
ignored -

The result seems to be:
    installbuilddir: ${datadir}/build-${APR_MAJOR_VERSION}

regardless of actual setting
e.g.:
    localstatedir: /var
    installbuilddir: ${localstatedir}/build