Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/22 18:16:51 UTC

[GSoC-2011] TUSCANY-3496 idea

Hi All,

I'm an undergraduate at Department of Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, and I'm hoping to have
an exciting summer with GSoC 2011. I participated in GSoC 2010 for
Apache Derby (RDBMS in Java) project and successfully finished the project.
This is a sample of the work (final output) which I've done for Derby
last summer
(http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/p/my-work-at-gsoc-2010.html).

You can find my profile and recommendations at LinkedIn
(http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=54105394&trk=tab_pro).

While looking through The ASF idea page, I found this entry in JIRA
about "Develop a simple tool that can be used to generate composite diagrams
from the xml files" https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-3496 is
interesting.

I would appreciate if I can get further details on the requirements of
this tool.

I'm still new to Apache Tuscany project, but willing to learn quickly, any help
on getting me started is highly appreciate.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando
Faculty of Engineering,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.
Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: [GSoC-2011] TUSCANY-3496 idea

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
<js...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Nirmal Fernando
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi, Nirmal.
>>> The idea is to have a simple way to generate a diagram from the composite
>>> file to illustrate the SCA components (service/reference) and their wirings.
>>> It could be a simple .dot or .svg file.
>>> Eclipse has a tooling project for SCA [1]. It can generate nice diagrams.
>>> This idea is more on the lightweight side, for example, allowing a browser
>>> to point to Tuscany runtime to show the composite diagram.
>>> [1] http://www.eclipse.org/stp/sca/
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response Raymond, I will study on Apache Batik Project
>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/ and Eclipse tool and will log my findings
>> on JIRA.
>>
>> If you have any other thing in your mind that I should start looking at, please
>> share them.
>>
>> I am hoping to contribute to this project in GSoC!
>>
>> Thanks.

> Just a thought: if you're going to generate SVG using Batik, it'd be
> really cool to be able to edit the diagram too. It shouldn't be too
> difficult to add mouse onclick event handlers to the SVG elements
> representing components, wires etc and let the user move them around,
> unwire and rewire components for example.

This sounds interesting Jean, thanks for firing it up!

> Another thought, since Raymond mentioned Eclipse tools. It may be
> worth taking a look at Eclipse Orion [1][2] and see if you can use any
> of it... I mean, if it's not too complicated and you think that it'll
> actually help you with the user interface.
>
> [1] http://www.eclipse.org/orion/
> [2] http://download.eclipse.org/e4/orion/

Orion looks pretty cool! I will consider the possibility of using it in this
project.

Thanks Jean for the support, hope you'll continue!

Thanks!

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.