Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ram Krishnamoorthi <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/01 16:30:02 UTC

blocks & Memory Usage/Performance

Hello,
Would like to know if there are any differences (from
a Memory Usage and Performance Stand Point) between
having Fewer Fo:Blocks with data present in each
Fo:Block Spanning Multiple Pages and having More
FO:Blocks with less data present in each Fo:Block.

Thanks all
Ram

RE: blocks & Memory Usage/Performance

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Ram Krishnamoorthi wrote:

> Would like to know if there are any differences (from a
> Memory Usage and Performance Stand Point) between having
> Fewer Fo:Blocks with data present in each Fo:Block Spanning
> Multiple Pages and having More FO:Blocks with less data
> present in each Fo:Block.

In FOP 0.20.5, I don't think there would any perceivable difference in
either memory usage or performance. The process is fairly sequential, i.e.
encounter a character, place it on a line, repeat. Also, the entire
page-sequence is in memory anyway.

There are at least three efforts to improve 0.20.5 underway, and this may
change with at least some of them. However, I still wouldn't expect it to be
significant unless you are talking about blocks whose contents by themselves
are bumping up against memory limits, which is pretty unlikely.

Victor Mote