Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Simon Kiss <si...@yahoo.ca> on 2011/03/11 21:52:41 UTC

usage error - newbie

Dear colleagues, I'm a complete newcomer to java programming.  I've =
developed quite a bit of facility in programming in R, some familiarity =
with basic unix commands (sed, grep and awk) and I'm very interested in =
being able to use pdfBox to extract text from .pdf files. =20
I'm working on Mac Os 10.6.6; I downloaded the pre-built .jar file in my =
home directory and I'm trying this command
java -jar pdfbox-app-1.5.0.jar org.apache.pdfbox.ExtractText =
geography.pdf geography.txt

But I get the following error

usage: java pdfbox-app-x.y.z.jar <command> <args..>
Yours, Simon Kiss
*********************************
Simon J. Kiss, PhD
Assistant Professor, Wilfrid Laurier University
73 George Street
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
N3T 2C9
Cell: +1 519 761 7606

Re: usage error - newbie

Posted by David Newton <da...@wrycan.com>.
I actually did this as well, when I first looked at this a couple of
weeks ago. If the JAR and your PDF are the directory you're running it
from, try just:

java -jar pdfbox-app-1.5.0.jar ExtractText geography.pdf geography.txt