Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2017/11/16 13:03:34 UTC

2.5 alpha proposal

So, we won't be able to ignore this for long...

I'd propose we migrate dsp to the oldest supported vcproj format (my cvtdsp
can help get these flags right) for those who like the IDE, until we show
that cmake generated vcproj files work just fine. Hopefully this occurs
prior to beta.

Drop .mak and .dsp files and let cmake create make files and any alternate
gui representations anyone needs, e.g. eclipse, code warrior etc etc etc.

Thoughts?

RE: 2.5 alpha proposal

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

I would go the CMake route and use that as the primary buildscript for Windows.

Microsoft spends quite some time making this work directly for the last few VS versions. Start using .vcproj instead of .dsp, still moves us to a > 10 year no longer actively supported format. Visual Studio 2010 moved to using MSBuild based .vcxproj files, which work much better from the commandline than .dsp / .vcproj... But it is not hard to generate these from CMake.

	Bert

Re: 2.5 alpha proposal

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: 2.5 alpha proposal

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
> Am 16.11.2017 um 14:03 schrieb William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
>
> So, we won't be able to ignore this for long...
>
> I'd propose we migrate dsp to the oldest supported vcproj format (my cvtdsp can help get these flags right) for those who like the IDE, until we show that cmake generated vcproj files work just fine. Hopefully this occurs prior to beta.
>
> Drop .mak and .dsp files and let cmake create make files and any alternate gui representations anyone needs, e.g. eclipse, code warrior etc etc etc.
>
> Thoughts?

I am not able to contribute to the Windows build discussion. For the sake of understanding, however,
we have currently:
  * our AP enriched automake variant
  * cmake
  * some version of visual-c/-studio project setup
  * a netware build
?

Is that a complete list? And some Windows people use cmake and some the vcproj files?

Cheers,
Stefan