Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@epimorphics.com> on 2010/12/14 18:18:23 UTC

Migrating jena-dev@Y!

On 09/12/10 14:52, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> So I suggest we all start mentioning the existence of the new list. We
>> can see how the migration flow goes, and make a pragmatic decision as to
>> what to do when we get a sense for the switch over.
>
> Options I see
>
> - turn off yahoo list and force people here
>
> - reply to all new threads on the old list with a request to send to the
> ASF lists where support will be provided
>
> - repost all ASF mails to the Yahoo list with a header informing people
> that to participate in the discussion they need to migrate to the ASF list
>
> - set the Yahoo list to moderated posting and ask to send to ASF list
>
> - gently nudge people to the ASF list but still provide support on the
> yahoo list
>
> I'd recommend the second option, the first and last options are not
> really helpful in my opinion. The third option could work too, but
> involves some technical configuration.
>
> Just my 2 cents - it's your community
>
> Ross

Ross's list seem to capture all the options for list migration.

* We have list moderators in place now

* openjena.org points to jena-users@, as does the documentation in the
latest release.

Suggestion:

jena-devel@SF:

Send a message to jena-devel@SF to say discussions have moved.  People
have probably already guessed we use jena-dev@ASF.

jena-dev@yahoo:

Send a message to say that jena-users@ASF is now open and see how it
goes.  Move to a more direct policy at some point based on experience.

This attempts to reduce the admin before switching to more actively moving.

	Andy

Re: Migrating jena-dev@Y!

Posted by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com>.
On 14/12/10 17:18, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Suggestion:
>
> jena-devel@SF:
>
> Send a message to jena-devel@SF to say discussions have moved.  People
> have probably already guessed we use jena-dev@ASF.
>
> jena-dev@yahoo:
>
> Send a message to say that jena-users@ASF is now open and see how it
> goes.  Move to a more direct policy at some point based on experience.
>
> This attempts to reduce the admin before switching to more actively moving.
+1, works for me.

Incidentally, I didn't see Ross' original message (and it's not in my
spam folder, I checked).

Ian

Ian Dickinson                   Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
mailto:ian@epimorphics.com        http://www.epimorphics.com
cell: +44-7786-850536              landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd.  is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
              Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK