Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@pearson.com> on 2005/12/22 01:10:51 UTC

[JSF/Shale] Controller returning null

I see examples of the controller method returning "success" or "error" type
situations which are mapped in the faces-config.xml file.

What happens if you return null from a controller method?

Does it return the previously rendered view or do you go to an error view
defined in a web.xml or something.

Shawn

If you were not an intended recipient,

Re: [JSF/Shale] Controller returning null

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/05, Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not 100% sure but I think it does return the previously rendered view.

Correct.  You can see an example in the code for the Shale Use Cases examples:

http://struts.apache.org/struts-shale/shale-usecases/xref/org/apache/shale/usecases/profile/LogonActions.html#223

At line 252, the logon method is returning null so that the same view
will be re-displayed with the error message.

--
Wendy

Re: [JSF/Shale] Controller returning null

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 12/21/05, Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not 100% sure but I think it does return the previously rendered
> view.
>
> On 12/21/05, Garner, Shawn <sh...@pearson.com> wrote:
> >
> > I see examples of the controller method returning "success" or "error"
> > type
> > situations which are mapped in the faces-config.xml file.
> >
> > What happens if you return null from a controller method?

Apologies if this is a repeat ... I can't see any evidence that the reply I
*thought* I sent to this question actually got sent.

The precise behavior in this case is up to the NavigationHandler instance
being used, but the behavior for the *default* NavigationHandler instance is
specified (see Section 7.4.2 of the JSF Specification).  A null return
indicates that the current view should be rerendered, as Alexandre states
above.

Craig

Re: [JSF/Shale] Controller returning null

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
I am not 100% sure but I think it does return the previously rendered view.

On 12/21/05, Garner, Shawn <sh...@pearson.com> wrote:

> I see examples of the controller method returning "success" or "error"
> type
> situations which are mapped in the faces-config.xml file.
>
> What happens if you return null from a controller method?
>
> Does it return the previously rendered view or do you go to an error view
> defined in a web.xml or something.
>

> Shawn

> Please notify the sender and delete all copies.

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada