Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Sai Kasturi <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/15 19:09:41 UTC

NCM and node on the same machine?

Hi,

I am very new to Nifi, and have been trying to get my head around the
concept of clustering. I tried to create a cluster using VM's. I had the
manager on one VM, the node on the other VM. Now, the cluster was not
working(not even connecting). Then I added a node instance in the first VM,
after which the cluster is successfully established. Also, when I shutdown
the node instance on the first VM the whole cluster is gone.

My doubt is "Do we need to have a node instance on the machine where the
Cluster manager is" definitely??

-----
Sai K

Re: NCM and node on the same machine?

Posted by Sai Kasturi <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Thanks once again. Once the fields were populated, it worked. Thank you.

-----
Thanks,

Posted by Matthew Clarke <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sai,
      Did populating those fields on all your Nodes and NCM with values
solve your problem?  My feeling is that this is your issue.

You can also change the following logback.xml line to DEBUG from INFO on
your NCM so you can see the URL the NCM is trying to use to talk to each of
the nodes:

*<logger name="org.apache.nifi.cluster" level="INFO"/>*

Changes to the logback.xml file do not require a restart to take affect.

I suspect you will see URL with localhost in those DEBUG log messages.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Matthew Clarke <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sai,
    You do not need a node on on the same VM running your NCM.  Are you
trying to say that by adding a node on the same machine as your NCM, all
nodes (even those on other VMS) all of a sudden joined?

Question:
Did you populate these fields in your nifi.properties files with IPs or
hostnames (recommended):
           nifi.cluster.node.address=
           nifi.cluster.manager.address=

One of two things is probably happening here:
1. You are using hostnames and your NCM can not resolve those hostnames to
network reachable IP addresses.
2. you left those fields blank the nodes are likely reporting a value of
localhost as their address when they heartbeat to the NCM.  IN this cas
ethe NCM tries talking back to itself which can is why nothing works when
you don't have a Node local.

You should populate all your host, and address properties in your
nifi.properties file.
     nifi.remote.input.socket.host=               <-- if you want to use
Remote Process groups (Site-to-Site)
     nifi.web.http.host=  or nifi.web.https.host=
     and the two above for clustering

Thanks,
Matt